My First Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from FiremanJim

FiremanJim

WEll, I just bought a midi lathe (Delta 46-460) and, after the obligatory spindle turning, decided to try my hand at a bowl. I used a piece of swamp maple firewood that's about 2 years old.

The bowl in no way compares to the excellent work posted by others, but it is my first and hopefully, I'll get better (can't get much worse!)

The bowl is about 6" in diameter and about 3" high. The finish was 1 coat of BLO, followed by 3 coats of orange shellac, buffed with 0000 steel wool and one more coat of orange shellac, followed by a wax application.

Attachments

• DSC_8942b.jpg
    DSC_8942b.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_8945[1]b.jpg
    DSC_8945[1]b.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 157
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Jim ... That is definitely a great "first" bowl. Be sure to sign it, date it, and put the name of the wood on the bottom for future 'ole time' referrence. Then put it up on a shelf and forget about if for a bit. Come back one day with your 100th bowl and compare the two.

David Keller

That's a great looking first bowl... Much nicer than my first dozen or more.

Straight deep sided pieces are among the hardest to turn especially at the transition from sides to bottom... Try a nice lazy curve on your next one, and I'll bet you find the process a little easier.

Fred's advice is spot on... I wish I would have kept my first.

FiremanJim

Thanks for the comments

This really is my first bowl. It was a lot thicker at first, but I kept nibbling away at the sides until it got better. this is the point at which I chickened out.

I definitely plan to keep this bowl as a reference point. The pictures don't show it but if you look closer, you can see some tool marks on the inside.

I have a whole yeard of firewood, so I'll try the tapered sides next. Thanks for all the nice remarks.

seamus7227

Nice first!! Mine had like these thick walls and I think what happened was that I got so excited to be making a bowl that I wanted to hurry and get it off the lathe and on a shelf in the house. I keep thinking I'm gonna take back out to the lathe and finish turning it thin. Oh well, maybe one day. but good job on yours!

PaulDoug

Really pretty, I've only made about 10 bowls so far and each one has been a learning experience. None of which look any nice than yours. That sure is a pretty color. Is the orange-ish color from the shellac or is that close to the original color? Nice work, keep them coming.

FiremanJim

Re: Paul

Paul:

The color comes from a coat of BLO and the orange shellac. I finished a test piece of scrap from this block without the BLO and it looked pretty bland. I like this color better.

The orange shellac also adds some color; it gets deeper if you add more coats. It really bring out the warmth in walnut as well.

MarkHix

Excellent first bowl!

I still have mine and have been tempted to "fix" it. Never will, I look at it once in a while and it reminds me how far I have progressed....then my new ones remind me how far I have to go.

Sign it, date it and write the type of wood on it.

ctubbs

Great first bowl, and as others have already said, keep it. I wish i could find my first try. I got a catch and dove to the floor as it came at my head. I still have not found it. One of these days, when the shop gets a really good cleaning and my nerve returns, maybe then I'll try it again. Until then, it is strictly pens. They do not try to take my head off like that darn bowl did.
Charles

Top Bottom