My First Bowl...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwinSSIV

I had to try something new...
I had been experimenting on other pen ideas and finishes...none of them worked so I was a little frustrated and got a way from pens to try a small bowl.
This is a piece of yellowheart I picked up from my local WC store...
Two things I know are wrong...
First is the small little hole in the bottom, it is from the live center when I first turned the outside...I pushed it a little too deep or I hollowed out the bowl too much...hehehe;)
Second- yes...it is a little out of round...my base block had one screw not completed tightened to the base plate and I did not realize it until I had almost finished.
Comments and critiques are always welcome

2006572366_YHBowl1.jpg

20065723618_YHBowl2.jpg

Here is a slimline to show size:D
20065723633_YHBowl3.jpg

20065723645_YHBowl4.jpg

20065723656_YHBowl5.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jssmith3

Ed, your bowl looks fantastic, what finish did you use? I just gave a demo at the local woodturners meeting on CA/BLO finishes, sorry you missed it.
Janet :)

EdwinSSIV

Just did a FP finish....it is going to be used by my wife to hold her earrings and what not...
I heard about the demo...I was at WC that day to!!!!! I would have gone earlier if I had known! Next time email me and I will go down to meet you and see your demo!
It was rather funny at the store...I was talking to Terry and showing her my snakewood slimline with the herring bone and she asked me if I she could show Phil...so I said sure...she showed him and he complimented it...very nicely BTW...and Terry then thanked me for the nice letter...I said "What letter[?]" "The one about your pen" she said. I was very confused at this point because I had not sent any letters...Then she said "The one on the web site" and I then realized what she was talking about!!!!!![:0][B)] Phil perked up immediately and said "Is that The Ed?" and I sheepishly replied "Yes..." He said "Let me see that pen again" we proceeded to talk about the pen, the post I had made and how much it made him laugh...they are really so very nice down there. So I will probably now be renowned as "That Ed" Thanks Janet![:p][:D][;)][:eek:)]

woodwish

Ed,

Nice bowl, and they are every bit as addictive as pens. Much harder to sell though, most are gifts or collect dust at shows while the rest of my stuff sells. I have made a few with holes where the inner depth excedes the total heighth of the bowl, oops! Can't even attempt to sell those but they still get used around the house to hold stuff. I do love making bowls, I think maybe because I can dig in with the bowl gouge as hard as I want to compared to babying along a pen. When it's a bad day at work I can always work off some frustration gouging out a bowl to put me in a bettter mood. [}:)][}:)]

EdwinSSIV

Got it and responded...I did not check my email for a couple of days because the wife and I were taking care of two boys for a friend of ours while they were away on business..
Originally posted by jssmith3
<br />Ed, did you get my email about dinner with Ron when he is in town? I need to let Phil know so he can set it up.
Janet :)

EdwinSSIV

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.[^]
whatwoodido, I was going to have shape it more in the style you made...but the blank seemed small and I was afraid that the actual bowl would have been very small and shallow...so I went with something to give a deeper look to it.
Next time I will try something more along the lines of your style.

Doghouse

Another thing to add is if you are mathematical, look up the Golden Rectangle. It will link you to the other "Golden" Shapes. As fractals relate to the general shapes in nature you will find that there are some ratio's that are pleasing to the eye. If you follow the guidelines set by those ratios, you will be able to develop fantastic pieces.

If you have any questions about what I am talking about please feel free to ask.

EdwinSSIV

Drew, John, Thanks for the information...I really appreciate it very much!
It gives me so much to read and research now![:0]
Drew, I understood you were not pushing your form on me but I like it very much and I would like to attempt something
similar on one of my future turnings. Thanks for the tips on form and curves...I understand what you mean.
John, I decided I should probably hate you for your Golden rectangle search idea!!!!hehehehe[:p][:eek:)] I have been reading and searching for about 2 hours now...Really thanks for the critiques, tips, ideas and information!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom