my first bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Animyzo

Animyzo

This was actually my first turning project about 10 or so years ago. It has lasted with the mineral oil finish for that whole time till this past Friday. My pets decided to knock it off a table where it was holding cashews...

I have glued the pieces back together and plan on fixing it further when my lathe arrives next week.

Its made from mahogany that had been sitting around my high school shop for well over a decade before I turned it.

Attachments

• 20131020_153637.jpg
    20131020_153637.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 351
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Seems to be a lot of photo's lately that defy gravity....

What kind of lathe do you have coming? We live for photo's around here, so your gonna have to post some shots when it comes in.

Scott (nice segments too) B

Animyzo

An 8x12 central machinery lathe from harbor freight. just something to hold me over till I get a much larger lathe ( havent seen photos of it, but I been told it is a rather massive vs) getting that one from my fiancee's grandfather when he comes out from the Midwest in the summer. With all of his chucks and HSS tools. He is getting rid of most of his tools in his shop. Makes me all excited.

Animyzo

Returning the mini-lathe and getting a better one. Turned a small chalice and damned thing bogged down so bad the motor overheated. and yes I use small light cuts.

Animyzo

And here it is fixed... There was a massive internal crack I didn't see, resulting in a miniature explosion on my lathe. Fragments of mahogany bowl went flying off in many directions. I managed to salvage this from the remains (what didnt explode)

I had a very hard time reshaping it, my tools kept grabbing and ripping chunks. Yes they were honed to a razors edge, i rode the bevel, and all the stuff you are supposed to do... It would just occasionally grab and rip.... (like my little finger, almost got ripped but it managed to be just a superficial cut)

Needless to say, if the pets crack it again, ill be making pen blanks out of the base. It would be a shame to toss it.

Attachments

• 20131105_170106.jpg
    20131105_170106.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 148
Top Bottom