My First Bottle Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Noah

Noah

I got busy this last weekend and made bottle stoppers for Christmas presents...

Nice thing about stoppers, you can do a number of them at once and then mount them later... that is, after I can afford the hardware... :)

These are my first attempt... I went for some creativity... see last photo...

Q: Suggestions please... I haven't glued any yet, but I'm concerned about using CA (how much to use) and having sufficient time to completely screw the items together before the glue sets up... also what about glue spreading out when screwed down...

Please give me any comments... particularly since this is my first...

Thanks for looking...
Ed

Attachments

• IMG_3474-1s.jpg
    IMG_3474-1s.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_3475-1s.jpg
    IMG_3475-1s.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_3477-1s.jpg
    IMG_3477-1s.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_3479-1s.jpg
    IMG_3479-1s.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 198
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimbob91577

Regarding Glue

Don't use CA glue. Over time, the glue will break down and the stopper will come appart. Use Epoxy. I've found this to be the same with the rubber bottle stoppers that Woodcraft sells too.

bitshird

Are you going to use the Silicone one with wood pegs, or the screw in stoppers, Some of the shapes are very cool, I like the cup/goblet one in the last frame. Nice turning!

Noah

CA or Epoxy

Thanks for the tips...
I'll get some 5 min Epoxy...
I plan to use the screw-in from PSI... like the one shown...

Thanks
Ed

byounghusband

I don't glue mine.... I drill and tap the hole. If you are concerned about the stopper tearing up the threaded hole, tap it, dribble the threaded hole with Thin CA and then retap it. Also, you might think about using a small bock of wood between your tail stock and the stoppeer so you don't leave the dimple in the end like in the third pic.

NIce stoppers!!!

And I agree with Stainless Steel hardware. Chrome will pit in a short matter of time due to the acids in the wine.

markgum

great job. The goblet's in the last frame are awesome. Can you share the dimensions. I agree with the comments about using stainless.

Noah

Dimensions

Mark...

The cup, last picture, far right is 3.1" high, the cup is 1.47" wide, the wall of the cup is 0.10", the stem is 0.66" wide, the base is 1.55" wide and the inside depth of the cup is 0.97"...

Is that the one you were asking dimensions for...? If not, please specify which item you would like more info on...

Thanks for asking...
Ed

Top Bottom