My first attempt at a Faux Cigar.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wrjones224

Here is my first attempt at a faux cigar pen. It is also my 3rd attempt at turning a pen with closed ends or without a mandrel. Lots of mistake and things I will do differently next time. I didn't drill on the lathe which caused the cap to be off centered. I used the Dennis fountain pen kit as a start. I made the ashes too big and should have not tried to apply CA to them. I am not happy with the end result but I am satisfied that I was able to complete the pen and have a starting point for the next one. Much to improve on. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 4501A84C-CFBE-46BD-9E2D-2446FF06FA77.jpeg
    4501A84C-CFBE-46BD-9E2D-2446FF06FA77.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 525E081D-A539-4577-8CEF-9D41C61B85F6.jpeg
    525E081D-A539-4577-8CEF-9D41C61B85F6.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 184
  • AB69C48A-D1D2-4659-A048-4DA4B943A022.jpeg
    AB69C48A-D1D2-4659-A048-4DA4B943A022.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fine Engineer

Here is my first attempt at a faux cigar pen. It is also my 3rd attempt at turning a pen with closed ends or without a mandrel. Lots of mistake and things I will do differently next time. I didn't drill on the lathe which caused the cap to be off centered. I used the Dennis fountain pen kit as a start. I made the ashes too big and should have not tried to apply CA to them. I am not happy with the end result but I am satisfied that I was able to complete the pen and have a starting point for the next one. Much to improve on. Thanks for looking!
It's good that you took this to the end even if you weren't happy with it, as you learn the most from that. With so many 'non standard' processes with this, it might take a few more attempts to get it just right. Cool concept though! It will be interesting to see a final version of this.'

Jeff

KMCloonan

I would say that is pretty darn cool. I have never seen a fake cigar pen, and that one looks pretty realistic. Whenever you stretch the limits of what you have tried or seen before, you will not always be successful, but you will always learn something for the next time. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Dale Allen

Ryan, good first one and you already know how to improve.
When I do mine I use a waste piece glued on the end of the blank. I then turn it round and drill on the lathe.
Glue in the brass tube and use a TBC bushing on the brass tube and just a center hole in the waste block.
Then to part off the waste block I use a thin plastic protector around the blank in a scroll chuck.
Also, get some matte flat acrylic spray as the final coating so it has no shine.

wrjones224

I would say that is pretty darn cool. I have never seen a fake cigar pen, and that one looks pretty realistic. Whenever you stretch the limits of what you have tried or seen before, you will not always be successful, but you will always learn something for the next time. Thanks a lot for sharing!
Thank you. Mine is nothing compared to some of the other members. If you search Faux Cigar you will see some absolutely incredible ones.

wrjones224

Ryan, good first one and you already know how to improve.
When I do mine I use a waste piece glued on the end of the blank. I then turn it round and drill on the lathe.
Glue in the brass tube and use a TBC bushing on the brass tube and just a center hole in the waste block.
Then to part off the waste block I use a thin plastic protector around the blank in a scroll chuck.
Also, get some matte flat acrylic spray as the final coating so it has no shine.
Thanks Dale - your pens were an inspiration to it. I will try this at my next go around.

Top Bottom