My first at Bone turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bsshog40

bsshog40

I got a free box of wood a while back at a gun show. It had this one piece of bone in it also. There is a pic of it below also and not sure what the bone is from. Anyway, below are two bolt action pens. I decided not to fill the porous sides to them and just leave them natural. I finished them by sanding from 150 grit to MM 12,000 grit. I then put a few coats of Renaissance wax on them. I like the natural feel of the bone.
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Bone.jpg
    Bone.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 244
  • Bone Pens 3.jpg
    Bone Pens 3.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jolly Red

Nice looking pens. But I think that is deer antler, not bone. Still a good material to work with. Bone would be hard to find in the thickness to make a pen, it would have to come from a very large animal, such as NewfoundLaw's whale.

bsshog40

Nice looking pens. But I think that is deer antler, not bone. Still a good material to work with. Bone would be hard to find in the thickness to make a pen, it would have to come from a very large animal, such as NewfoundLaw's whale.
You may be right. With it just being the one piece, I really couldn't tell.

Woodchipper

Antler will stink like burning hair, I'm told. Angler will be solid. Bone will have tiny holes in it. Was there a hollow for marrow? BTW, that looks like a piece of an extinct dinosaur. You just made a pen out of a piece of bone worth millions. OK, just kidding. Did you find it hard to turn? Brittle?

bsshog40

Antler will stink like burning hair, I'm told. Angler will be solid. Bone will have tiny holes in it. Was there a hollow for marrow? BTW, that looks like a piece of an extinct dinosaur. You just made a pen out of a piece of bone worth millions. OK, just kidding. Did you find it hard to turn? Brittle?
It stunk pretty good cutting, turning and sanding. It had a lot of porous holes in it. Mostly one side and the other side was pretty solid. No marrow, so it was pretty solid all the way thru except for the porous side.

Attachments

• antler.jpg
    antler.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

It stunk pretty good cutting, turning and sanding. It had a lot of porous holes in it. Mostly one side and the other side was pretty solid. No marrow, so it was pretty solid all the way thru except for the porous side.

That looks like whale bone to me. Some whale bone is almost solid, but most is too porous to work with.

The whale I showed is a Finback whale and the 2 large flanks that run on top of its skull are almost completely solid for the first 18". (Apparently they use them to head butt things which is why they are so thick.)

"Pen Turning on the Rock"

Top Bottom