My first Apollo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Hippie3180

Hippie3180

I turned my first Apollo yesterday and I'm a fan. This would make my first closed end cap and body. I think that up until now I have never turned Alumilite either and it was THE most pleasant turn. I had so much fun with this pen. Turning with mandrels allows you a bit of freedom with shape and diameter. The nib/and converter etc. are such nice quality too (Schmidt.) I'm so impressed and happy with the results.

As a bonus the threads are triple start and I figured out to to align my blank pattern.

Apollo SS Fountain from Bullseye Turning
Alumilite Clear Slow Resin blank in "Iris" also from Bullseye Turning.

Attachments

• IMG_1814.jpeg
    IMG_1814.jpeg
    429.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1820.jpeg
    IMG_1820.jpeg
    384.7 KB · Views: 116
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MedWoodWorx

I turned my first Apollo yesterday and I'm a fan. This would make my first closed end cap and body. I think that up until now I have never turned Alumilite either and it was THE most pleasant turn. I had so much fun with this pen. Turning with mandrels allows you a bit of freedom with shape and diameter. The nib/and converter etc. are such nice quality too (Schmidt.) I'm so impressed and happy with the results.

As a bonus the threads are triple start and I figured out to to align my blank pattern.

Apollo SS Fountain from Bullseye Turning
Alumilite Clear Slow Resin blank in "Iris" also from Bullseye Turning.
Nice one!! You need single threads so that the grain is alligned always?

Hippie3180

Very cool. I have some of the kits, mandrels, and stuff, but I haven't turned any of them yet. I've got a long bucket list. Nice Pen! - Dave
I know you have quite the to do list, but this was really a fun make that you would enjoy. 😀

Hippie3180

And easy too! - I even bought the stepped drill bits for the Apollo kit from Rick Herrell, so drilling should be a breeze. - Dave
I'm sure it will be easy for you and it was fairly easy for me. I've only been turning since April, so not the 6 years or so that you've been turning. There were a couple of hiccups for me, I needed to go back in with the drill bits on the cap just a toonce deeper, and I had glue build up at the back of the body and had to clear that out for the converter to fit, but other than that it was pretty straightforward.

Top Bottom