My first Acrylic pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Paul H

Paul H

After making a few wooden pens and a woodworker clutch pencil I decided to have a try making a pen from Acrylic blank.
Not bad for a first try?
I was really pleased at how it turned out.
My good lady is a stylophile(collects fountain pens) so she got it as a gift for Christmas!

Attachments

• DADEFE5C-F582-4C61-9C75-3AABAB61F658.jpg
    DADEFE5C-F582-4C61-9C75-3AABAB61F658.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 215
  • FF25D89C-802A-41F5-98EA-869A94C0DA89.jpg
    FF25D89C-802A-41F5-98EA-869A94C0DA89.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I like the word "stylophile" .... does she call you a "turn-o-maniac" yet ? . Be ready for it ... this pen-making is addictive.

I also like the pen and box !! . Very nice gift indeed !!

I really like doing acrylics especially when it comes to finishing. . When you get the hang of it you will be able to turn the surface so smooth that only a little sanding will be required and the polishing, with appropriate agents, will leave you really satisfied with the results.

Of course, you have to be careful to avoid heat build up at all stages with acrylics.

Sooner or later you will encounter Alumilite blanks which are much more tolerant and easy to turn. . However they do not polish up quite as well, at least in my experience.

It is hard to beat acrylic acetate (AA), which it looks like you used, until you discover Rhino plastics.

Oh, and BTW, we all use the term "acrylic" ... and many of us do so indiscriminately to mean anything in the broad plastic and resin categories ... but there are some "purists" on this website who insist that it should be used for only certain subsets of the broader categories. I am not one of those "purists". . You have been warned ! :biggrin:

eharri446

Just be ware of those blanks labeled as Inlace Acrylics. They take quite a bit of extra effort the first few times you turn them to prevent chipping. I can turn AA in about 30 minutes for a Sierra style pen. It will take me 2 or 3 times as long to turn the Inlace. Having said that, I do like how they look and will spend the time in order to make them.

MRDucks2

My first "acrylic" was Inlace Acrylester, so I wasn't experienced enough to know shrapnel was a characteristic of the blank when compared to others. Once I figured it out, very little comes close to the finished product. I believe Rhino Plastic is a similar material.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom