My First Acrylic Pen- Executive Pen Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PAbernathy

PAbernathy

Here is my very first Acrylic Pen....It is the PSI Executive Pen Kit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 363
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

I like the colors of the blank in the second picture, and I think the barrel shape on both is excellent.

I made a pen with a blank similar to your first picture. I think the blank was called "candy coated" or something like that; my wife picked it out because she liked it and wanted a pen from it. I back-painted the blank white before gluing in the tube to avoid the brass tube affecting the appearance of the finished pen.

The brass color coming through the white (assuming it's white) in your pen coordinates with the gold plating, but if you use a different plating (e.g., chrome) and the same blank, consider back-painting the blank white. :)

PAbernathy

Actually that blank has gold swirl in the white as that's not the blank. However, when I have done the slimlines with acrylic the brass does come through.

I have been thinking of getting various colors of model paint for the tubes as you have suggested. Are there any base colors that seem to work best regardless of blank....or is it kinda specific for each blank colors?

BSea

Personally, I like to use black, medium gray or silver, or as close to the main color of the blank as possible. I find that white tends to wash some colors out, or make them look like a pastel color.

Brian G

Actually that blank has gold swirl in the white as that's not the blank. However, when I have done the slimlines with acrylic the brass does come through.

I have been thinking of getting various colors of model paint for the tubes as you have suggested. Are there any base colors that seem to work best regardless of blank....or is it kinda specific for each blank colors?

Ah, my mistake in identifying the blank. I agree with what Bob said. The blank I referenced was white with pastels, so back painting white worked well in that instance.

PAbernathy

I like the colors of the blank in the second picture, and I think the barrel shape on both is excellent.

I made a pen with a blank similar to your first picture. I think the blank was called "candy coated" or something like that; my wife picked it out because she liked it and wanted a pen from it. I back-painted the blank white before gluing in the tube to avoid the brass tube affecting the appearance of the finished pen.

The brass color coming through the white (assuming it's white) in your pen coordinates with the gold plating, but if you use a different plating (e.g., chrome) and the same blank, consider back-painting the blank white. :)

What type of paints work best with the CA and brass? I was thinking a nice model paint set with Testor paints. Should the paints be oil, water based or any paints will work. Thanks in advance...

PS...Pen thing is getting Addictive...lol

Brian G

Here's a YouTube video courtesy of Ed Brown, Exotic Blanks, that discusses reverse painting the blank.

[yt]wdtZvq9A7nQ[/yt]

I think you'll receive as many opinions of what is best as the number of people you ask.

I use epoxy to glue tubes just because that's my preference. I use acrylic craft paint like Ed references in his video. I used to put a drop in the expoxy, but that caused the epoxy to be a little rubbery and set quicker. I quit doing that. I don't paint the tubes.

I sometimes dip a toothpick in casting dye the primary color closest to the color of the acryilic paint I used before stirring the epoxy. I do this in case inserting the tube scratches off the paint in the tube. I don't know if doing that matters, or if I'm better at back painting, but I'd like to think it does. :redface:

I always let the paint dry overnight, or at least 12 hours before I glue in the tubes.

I didn't mean to derail your SOYP thread. Yes, this pen thing is addicting, and it only gets worse. You will know it's entrenched when even your significant other wonders aloud "could you make a pen out of ____?" That happened to me this morning. I shed a tear. Look for an intervention on TLC (The Leering Channel).

Top Bottom