My first 4 pens, and lessons learned

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hologram_3d

hologram_3d

Pen #1 - Slimline, Bubinga (with barrel grooves)

Lessons learned: Don't rush the sanding after applying the CA coats. Apply enough CA coats to fully fill the grooves in the barrel before sanding. It is quite difficult to get the CA dust out of the grooves. Had to recut the grooves several times and re-finish.

Pen #2 - Slimline, Acrylic (green)

Lessons learned: Don't make the upper barrel of the Slimline too fat, or the clip won't fit on. Completely sanded and finished it, but then had to put it back on the mandrel and shave off a few millimeters so the clip would fit.

Pen #3 - "Salute to the Troops" pen kit, Acrylic (red, black, gold)

Lessons learned: Use a drill press when drilling out acrylic blanks. First drilling ended in disaster when the entire blank exploded in the vise. Hand held drills don't have the torque at low speeds to cut through the acrylic. Fortunately I had 2 sections of this color, Marine Corps colors (for my son), and had access to a friends drill press.

Pen #4 - Slimline, Purpleheart (with inlay)

Lessons learned: I now understand why it is important to use an inlay material the same width as your saw blade kerf. The intent was to do a celtic knot, but after the second cut, I realized that the inlay material was too thin, and wouldn't line up with the first cut and stopped with just 2 crossing inlays. The pattern continues to the other side, but is about half the size of the pattern pictured.

Attachments

• Pen_1_bubinga_full.jpg
    Pen_1_bubinga_full.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 271
  • Pen_1_bubinga_close.jpg
    Pen_1_bubinga_close.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 242
  • Pen_2_acrylic_full.png
    Pen_2_acrylic_full.png
    451.7 KB · Views: 275
  • Pen_3_acrylic_full.jpg
    Pen_3_acrylic_full.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 254
  • Pen_4_purpleheart_full.jpg
    Pen_4_purpleheart_full.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 248
  • Pen_3_acrylic_close.jpg
    Pen_3_acrylic_close.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 222
  • Pen_4_purpleheart_close.jpg
    Pen_4_purpleheart_close.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Those pens look pretty good! I'll admit that my eye does NOT like wasp-waisted Slims, but your's isn't bad. I still learn something with pretty much any pen I make. I've got a long list of thing NOT TO DO when making a pen. ;-)

I might suggest that you consider drilling on the lathe--more control (IMHO) and more accuracy (though you might have a better drill press than I do).

Regards,
Michael

hologram_3d

Thanks for the encouragement.

Michael, I do plan on using the lathe to drill the blanks in the future, once I find a good price on a chuck. $180+ is a little outside of my current budget right now.

Rockytime, good luck on your celtic knot. There are a lot of good videos about setting the inlays, it isn't too difficult. My problem was that I didn't use an inlay material the same size as my saw blade, so the pattern got shifted when I glued the second inlay in. Then I didn't drill directly down the center of the pattern, instead I drilled down the center of the blank. I'll not make that mistake on my next try.

csr67

Thanks for the encouragement.

Michael, I do plan on using the lathe to drill the blanks in the future, once I find a good price on a chuck. $180+ is a little outside of my current budget right now.

I'll second the vote for drilling on the lathe for solid results. You don't need $180 to do it. I have this set up via Amazon Prime and it works great:

#2 MT drill 1/2" drill chuck, $34.95:
http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworki...=1441820740&sr=8-1&keywords=#2+MT+drill+chuck

PSI dedicated Pen Chuck, $75:
Amazon.com: PSI Woodworking Products CSCPENCHK Dedicated Pen Drilling Lathe Chuck: Home Improvement

Sabaharr

Pen #2 - Discovered that for myself a few years ago.

Experience is more knowing what not to do than it is knowing what to do. Your knowledge base on what NOT to do will grow faster and larger then the other in just about anything you attempt. How many times have we said to ourselves "Well I know to never do that again" then never think about it or do it again. File away those tidbits, they are valuable. I am reminded about the first time my son grabbed a hot radiator cap and jerked back his hand with a yelp. I said "By the way don't touch that cap. It's hot". He graciously thanked me while rubbing his fingertips and probably not actually voicing his real feelings. But he won't ever grab another hot radiator cap again because dad told him not to, or maybe some other reason.

Top Bottom