My father-in-law's First Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dehn0045

Dehn0045

Helped my father-in-law make his first pen. He traveled all the way from Minnesota to learn how to make a pen from an IAP master. Instead he got a crash course from me :biggrin:. It is a modified slimline in Ziricote with a friction polish finish.

Attachments

• PSX_20171226_175614.jpg
    PSX_20171226_175614.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 341
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well done to your Father-In-Law, as well to you Sam!

Modified Slimline with a Heartwood/Sapwood Zircote... Very cool! (Good coaching!)

I had similar time with family (my 27 yr old son), and it is precious irregardless whatever is produced. But to have a pen/project that went fine in the end is especially memorable.

In the 1990's, My Father-In-Law and I used to white water kayak together for 6-7 yrs; many nice memories of when our bodies were "younger."

Now neither of us can do that, but still have the memories - and they are precious.

Thanks for sharing.

OZturner

Excellent Modified Slimline Sam,
Your Father in Law had a Great Tutor, you can Tell by the Results.
The only down side to this Exercise, is that you might have created a Monster, you know how Addictive Pen Making is, he might now find any excuse to come over to your place to Play.
Congratulation to you Both,
Superb.
Brian.

Dehn0045

Excellent Modified Slimline Sam,
Your Father in Law had a Great Tutor, you can Tell by the Results.
The only down side to this Exercise, is that you might have created a Monster, you know how Addictive Pen Making is, he might now find any excuse to come over to your place to Play.
Congratulation to you Both,
Superb.
Brian.

And that would be another excuse for me to avoid doing dishes and go play out in the shop! Unfortunately he lives 1300 miles away, so it may just remain a holiday tradition. But I wouldn't be surprised if he started to put together his own woodturning shop, it was pretty obvious that he got bit by "the bug".

Dehn0045

Had to make one more pen with my father-in-law before he heads back to the frozen tundra. This one was a collaborative effort, he really wanted to turn something with aluminum in it. It's an Ellipse, Oxhorn (bulletwood) center and Ziricote ends with aluminum bands. If this doesn't get him hooked on penturning, I don't know what will :biggrin:

Attachments

• PSX_20171229_110527.jpg
    PSX_20171229_110527.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 164

Gregory Hardy

Ha! My first question was going to be, "When will he be buying a lathe?" Good for you.
I have a father-in-law (who now lives with us in his later years) and those guys aren't always easy. ("No one is ever good enough for my little girl.") I have been blessed with a good one, and it sounds like you have too. Great project, great relationship and great memories - all of these are joys that cannot be bought with gold. I sort of feel all "Christmas-y" all over again!

Dehn0045

"No one is ever good enough for my little girl."

We have our differences, but our relationship improved substantially when I realized that this is something that he was right about all along. My wife and I are high school sweethearts, so it took me a while to make some sense of it all. But now with a baby girl of my own it all seems so obvious. I'm definitely blessed with in-laws that I enjoy spending time with. Now I'm the one getting all Christmas-y :)

OZturner

Had to make one more pen with my father-in-law before he heads back to the frozen tundra. This one was a collaborative effort, he really wanted to turn something with aluminum in it. It's an Ellipse, Oxhorn (bulletwood) center and Ziricote ends with aluminum bands. If this doesn't get him hooked on penturning, I don't know what will :biggrin:

Fantastic Joint Effort Sam,
Great Segmented Blank, with Aluminium Inserts.
Yes I think you will have Him Hooked, with that one.
Congratulations, to both Turners.
Brian.

Top Bottom