My experiment to keep brass from showing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Larryreitz

One thing I really hate to do is paint the inside of cast and drilled blanks. Looking for an alternative, this is what I tried. I tried adding a few drops of white Divine Pigment to the entire resin mix which was then divided and colored with Alumilite pigments prior to pouring into the mold. The resin used was Alumilite Clear Slow, After curing the blanks were cut to size, drilled and tubes were glued in with epoxy. Pens were turned using bushings and there was no brass showing through in the final product. I am probably not the first to try this approach, but, a quick search didn't pick up anything. Pictures of the pens are shown below;

Pen number 1 was my test. I didn't want to use more expensive hardware in case it didn't work.

_MG_9884.jpg_MG_9884.jpg

Pen # 2 was cast with smaller segments of brown Mallee burl.

_MG_9888.jpg_MG_9889.jpg

Pen #3 was two strips of wood cast with resin. The light colored maple strip was the same size as the black walnut strip, but it floated about 1/4" before the resin cured
t_MG_9882.jpg_MG_9881.jpg

I turned it anyhow and am quite happy with the result. Couldn't repeat it if I tried.

Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.
Larry

Attachments

• _MG_9883.jpg
    _MG_9883.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 118

jttheclockman

Nice. You are the one controlling the blank pour so you can make it as opaque as you want or need. But when people buy blanks they do not make they have to resort to painting. Just saying.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Opaque works in many cases, and yours sure does in those pens!

However there are cases where different degrees of translucent are preferred. Both help make the world go round!

Top Bottom