My dragon got eaten by an egg.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Don Rabchenuk

Don Rabchenuk

Started off about 11" tall and 8" in diameter. Final size is about 8 1/2" by 7ish. The line was not a crack but separation from pouring two separate batches of alumilite. I was hoping to get the separation to look like a wave. The wood is madrone burl and the alumilite has just a hint (just the tip of a mixing stick) of interference green that was mixed in about 6oz of alumilite.
0402191748_HDR.jpg 0406191007.jpg 0406191406.jpg 0408191758.jpg 0408191804.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

That is really cool. :good:

Next time, you might try pouring the 2nd batch of alumilite about 20 minutes after the 1st so that the 1st pour is still tacky. You might eliminate the seam that way. I've done it with colored alumilite. But my intent was to have a chemical bond between layers, and it worked. But you might still be able to see a seam in a clear pour. Since I was using distinct colors, I didn't have to worry about a transition.

And in the spirit of Game of Thrones, you could have painted the eyes bright blue. :)

Don Rabchenuk

That is really cool. :good:

Next time, you might try pouring the 2nd batch of alumilite about 20 minutes after the 1st so that the 1st pour is still tacky. You might eliminate the seam that way. I've done it with colored alumilite. But my intent was to have a chemical bond between layers, and it worked. But you might still be able to see a seam in a clear pour. Since I was using distinct colors, I didn't have to worry about a transition.

And in the spirit of Game of Thrones, you could have painted the eyes bright blue. :)
The second pour was actually only 3 minutes but I was looking for the seperation. It came out as planned in that it looks like a wave breaking over his chest. I have my wife looking for a dragon for the Game of Thrones. All the ones we have found have been coming in broken so we are still looking. Have any leads?

pshrynk

Far out! What source did you use for the dragon? Plastic or pewter? Hand painted? I have some miniatures that would look good with similar treatment. Now I gotta get the alumilite casting stuff. Wife's gonna be thrilled.

Don Rabchenuk

Far out! What source did you use for the dragon? Plastic or pewter? Hand painted? I have some miniatures that would look good with similar treatment. Now I gotta get the alumilite casting stuff. Wife's gonna be thrilled.

I got it from A.C. Moore. A plastic figure about 15 dollars. I used hot melt glue to hold it to the burl and cast it in an 8" cement tube.

BSea

The second pour was actually only 3 minutes but I was looking for the seperation. It came out as planned in that it looks like a wave breaking over his chest.
I see what you mean. Did you mix it a little to get the effect?

I have my wife looking for a dragon for the Game of Thrones. All the ones we have found have been coming in broken so we are still looking. Have any leads?
Your "EGG" got me thinking. Have you seen the winter effect using white dye then doing another pour of clear? I've been wanting to try something like that, and your dragon may be what I want to try. And no, I don't have any sources for dragons. . . . . yet. But I'm going to start looking.

Don Rabchenuk

The second pour was actually only 3 minutes but I was looking for the seperation. It came out as planned in that it looks like a wave breaking over his chest.
I see what you mean. Did you mix it a little to get the effect?
Yes I did.

I have my wife looking for a dragon for the Game of Thrones. All the ones we have found have been coming in broken so we are still looking. Have any leads?
Your "EGG" got me thinking. Have you seen the winter effect using white dye then doing another pour of clear? I've been wanting to try something like that, and your dragon may be what I want to try. And no, I don't have any sources for dragons. . . . . yet. But I'm going to start looking.
If you look at the wood it is sitting on you can see I did.0408191803.jpg

Top Bottom