My delimma!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
My collection of pens (+20 or more) have all come from pen swaps on 4 or 5 different pen forums. They are all sitting in pen boxes in a cardboard box.

My dilemma is what to do with them? I am of the age that I don't collect things anymore. My wife and family have no interest in my pen collection, either now or after I am gone.

Tell me what you think of this idea, please!

I have it in my mind to return them to the swappers that I received them from, with an appreciative note to them explaining my dilemma. Would you take that as "a slap in the face" if I returned one of your swapped pens to you under these circumstances?

My other idea is to send them to "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers". That's probably the best idea!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

Mack, I think pens to the peace keepers is a far more worthy way to solve your problem. They will certainly be appreciated and the makers will know that their pens are going to support the troops. Super.

stonepecker

Donate them where they are wanted. Anything there that could bring some money with an auction?
DON'T send them back.

Be sure to take a picture for yourself. Memories and good times.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Donate them where they are wanted. Anything there that could bring some money with an auction?
DON'T send them back.

Be sure to take a picture for yourself. Memories and good times.
I have pictures of all of my swap pens, both to and from.

I'm convinced to send them to our Canadian Peacekeepers!

tim self

Send them to the peacekeepers. And if you want to send a note to the swappers, do so with an explanation but this wouldn't be necessary IMO.

jttheclockman

Mack

A pen takes up such little room. You could make a simple stand or case and display them somewhere. Leave it in your will what to do with them if you would like but I would not send them back to the makers.

76winger

Mack

A pen takes up such little room. You could make a simple stand or case and display them somewhere. Leave it in your will what to do with them if you would like but I would not send them back to the makers.

I like the idea of donating them to the Canadian Peacekeepers, and I also like John's idea of displaying them in some fashion for you to enjoy now and leave direction on what to do with them when you're gone. You can enjoy them now and they can be gifted as you wish later. This sounds like a double win to me.

In the end it depends on what you think you get the most joy from. Do enjoy seeing the pens from time to time and remembering your fellow pen makers that created each of them? Or do they just sit tucked way, never coming out into the light, and you'd get more joy by giving them out now rather than later?

Don't ya just love decisions? :wink:

Haynie

If you like them, use them. Carry a different one each day if you are so inclined. Worrying about what family will do with them after you are gone is silly, especially if that is why you are thinking of donating them.

It is nice to donate them though. Just remember that anything larger than a slim might not fit in uniform pen pouches.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Just remember that anything larger than a slim might not fit in uniform pen pouches.

And this thought is what brought me to another idea!

Many of the pens are cigar sized, or Jr. sizes, a few Sierras and the like. Most are RB's or BP's, a couple are exquisite FP's.

Last year at Christmas season I was able to send about 31 pens (16 Jr's & 15 FT's) at my expense. (not boasting here, merely stating a fact). Add'nl refill cartridges were provided by an IAP vendor at no expense to me.

The swap pens in my collection if sold under the banner PFCP's would bring in considerably more than $1500.00, of which all the proceeds would go to buying more pen hardware. Certainly more pens than the 20 or so I have in my collection.

I'm giving this idea very serious consideration, just have to consider some logistics, such as customers knowing these weren't turned by me but a friend swapper. They are just as good or even better in many cases than any pen I have turned!

I will be putting an inventory together shortly to keep track of the sales of these pens!

Your many thoughts are more than welcome in this regard!

healeydays

I would either donate them like you mentioned or auction them off for charity. That's more of a personal decision, but as someone who gets involved in some of the pen swaps, once I give a pen, it's yours to do with as you see fit and I would personally be ok with whatever is done with it...

Mike B

Top Bottom