My Civil War Pen Collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I finally finished my Civil War Pen set that I've been working on for the last few months.

Special thanks goes to Cody Walker (CWalker935) for making these great blanks for me. (I think I got the better end of our trades, Cody.)

L-R we have Abraham Lincoln, U. S. Grant, a row of Confederate Cannon, Werner F. Dohmann, Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson.

Werner Dohmann was my great-grandfather and he served as an artilleryman for the South which is why I especially wanted to include the cannon photo in this collection. Werner joined the Confederate army in 1862 at the age of 16 as a substitute for his brother-in-law because his sister was expecting their first child within a couple of months.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

What a great collection and a great tribute to your Great-grandfather. So who's next; JEB Stuart, Nathan Bedford Forrest, Sherman, Wheeler, Custer?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
What a great collection and a great tribute to your Great-grandfather. So who's next; JEB Stuart, Nathan Bedford Forrest, Sherman, Wheeler, Custer?

Depends on whether I can talk Cody into some more lop-sided trades - either that or take up photo-casting myself. :)

I also have a great-great grandfather who was a mounted cavalryman for the South, so I need to come up with a War Horse photo to go alongside his photo.

Most of those you mentioned are candidates for my collection - except Sherman. We Southerners don't think very highly of him.

southernclay

Most of those you mentioned are candidates for my collection - except Sherman. We Southerners don't think very highly of him.

I wish I could like this more than once!:biggrin:

Fine job Edgar, Cody you as well!

Cwalker935

Great job Edgar, I am glad that I could contribute to your project. I like the way you lined up the clips. I have good photos of JEB Stuart, Sherman and Sheridan. I have not been able to bring myself to do Sherman and Sheridan. I included Custer with my Little Big Horn set.

I have been eying that big chunk of Camphor but have not done anything with it yet.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Great job Edgar, I am glad that I could contribute to your project. I like the way you lined up the clips. I have good photos of JEB Stuart, Sherman and Sheridan. I have not been able to bring myself to do Sherman and Sheridan. I included Custer with my Little Big Horn set.

I have been eying that big chunk of Camphor but have not done anything with it yet.

Thanks Cody - I really enjoyed making these pens. Your blanks are just awesome.

I'm not really interested in Sheridan either. Definitely need a Jefferson Davis though & also a Benjamin Franklin Terry (commander of the Texas 8th Cavalry aka "Terry's Texas Rangers"). Terry's plantation was just down the road from where my office is here in Sugar Land.

turncrazy43

Really nice set of pens Edgar. The special one for your family really finishes off the set. Nicely done. Thanks for showing them to us.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I believe that left to right.........You have Lee and Grant in the wrong places.

But then what do I know.

OOOOOPS!:redface::redface:

Thanks - I blame it on a senior moment.
That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

I fixed it in my photo album, but I think it's too late to edit the first post in this thread.

timsickels

Thanks Edgar

Every now and then, I make a couple of pens that I think are really nice, and my head starts to swell a little. Then I come across a post like yours and I'm brought back down to earth, and realize I have so much more to learn. Beautiful set......thanks for the inspiration.....you da man!

Rick_G

Great looking group of pens. I've done a few stamp and photo castings but for me it gets a little expensive. My last can of PR resin is better than half full and hard as a rock.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Every now and then, I make a couple of pens that I think are really nice, and my head starts to swell a little. Then I come across a post like yours and I'm brought back down to earth, and realize I have so much more to learn. Beautiful set......thanks for the inspiration.....you da man!

Thanks Tim, much appreciated.

I do like the way these turned out, but most of the credit goes to Cody Walker (CWalker935) who made the blanks. I just turned the blanks and assembled the kit.

Cody does a really great job on these blanks. They turn easily & really finish nicely. Cody has a tutorial in the library on making photograph blanks like this. It's a must-read if you want to try something like this yourself.

Edgar

Top Bottom