My Bog Oak Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

I have seen lately a few Bog Oak pens posted so thought I would show one of mine. It is on a Sierra style kit. It is bog oak that has about 4 coats of thin CA as a finish and then sheen cut back using a nonwoven pad to give that wood feel. I did not want to fill the grain and make it a flat shiny pen. I believe bog oak deserves the real look of wood. That is what is attractive about it. Thanks for looking and any comments or questions always welcomed.
IMGP0368.JPG bog oak pen.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Hi John,

The satin black and gunmetal? kit really pairs nicely with the Bog Oak.
I'm always torn between the glossy CA finish and the friction polish types.
I use the Doctor's Woodshop Walnut Oil, and Pens Plus, but I also use O.B.'s Shine Juice.
For some reason I almost always default to CA though.
I never thought about using less CA and MicroMeshing to a more satin-like finish - until now that is.

Regards,
Dave

jttheclockman

Thanks Dave. It really is a simple process plus it gives the wood the protection it needs from water and also fingerprints with the body acid we all have. It works for me. I have used it on other wood pens too.

sorcerertd

I like the combo, too. Neither the pen parts, nor the barrel take anything away from each other.

Thanks to feedback I've received here (including from you, John), I started finishing the bog oak the same way. I do much prefer the look and feel of it that way. Is there a grit type of measurement to the pads you use?

jttheclockman

Let me answer a few questions in a couple my latest pen photos. First this kit is a satin black Monarch kit. I have used this kit several times before. Here is another example of its use. This pen is a Damascus steel blank that I used with this kit. I have shown this one before.

To answer Todd's question I use these nonwoven pads for so many things. I use the grey ones alot. I buy them from here. You can get in many grits. They basically take the place of steel wool. I buy a lot of things from this company. They use to be at all the woodworking shows I went to so I just got use to using them. Get all my double sided turners tape from them and go through alot of that stuff. Over the years they got alot of my money. :)

https://www.ptreeusa.com/abrasive_non_woven_pads.html

Copy (2) of IMGP0049.JPG

Top Bottom