My Bash entries

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Si90

Si90

These are the 2 pens that I managed to get finished in time for entry in the Bash.

First my entry in the tube on casting, which I managed to grab a second place with. Based on a Baron fountain pen, the body and cap are made from dress making pins, carbon fibre and watch parts. Wish I had done it on a higher end kit to warrant all the time it takes to stick on all those parts, but I was really happy with it.

Secondly, my entry in the freestyle competition, my "Steampunk" desk pen. Wanted to try and do something a step further than my usual pens of this style. These aren't really carry pens so I thought they would work better as an office desk pen, hence the stand. It's designed in such a way that its actually really comfortable to hold. The pen is made from my current favourite - brass portholes for model boats. The wire on the pen is actually a spring. They are used to suspend posters from shop ceilings and have a hook at each end which I cut off. The 2 tubes at the front are filled with PR that I coloured with nail varnish - interested to know if anyone knows of any issues with that long term. The tubes are not fixed in so can be replaced at this stage. The space at the front is for my Wolf Pens etched logo but obviously left that off for the Bash pictures. As I have started to do with these pens I went with a more aged look than some of my previous pens. I may darken the base and add some ageing to to it before I decide what to do with it - keep, sell or something else, but for now, I am quite happy with it as it stands.

Huge thank you to all those who voted for my efforts, the organisers and those who donated the prizes, I really appreciate it. Until next time.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Can't imagine how many hours you spent making these two entries...mind blowing results!!!!

Scott (actually like the Baron the most) B

Twissy

Fantastic work Simon!!! I think you should bin the squeeze filler and use it as an eye dropper.....it would look absolutely awesome with the ink swishing around inside the test tube. Just my opinion mind!

Marko50

Simon, I will never be able to compete on your level. I stand all amazed. You're an inspiration to me and I aspire to hone my skills to your level of perfection! Thank you for posting and sharing. I truly appreciate it.

OZturner

Simon, You have again Blown me away.
Your Watch Steampunk Pen is Superb,
Incredible Placement of Components, those pins must have taken ages to cut and place,
I see you are either running late for the Pub or you have found an "Early Opener" .
Your Watch is on 8:56. as I can't tell if that is A.M. or P.M. therefore it must be one Pub or the other .
Joking aside, Brilliant Work
Regarding the Desk set.
For once in my life "Word Fail Me".
What can be said, other than Absolutely Brilliant.
Brian.

Buzzzz4

Those are amazing pens. Your watch parts with the pins was my vote for a win in the tubed casting contest. It is stunning.

For the steampunk, it is really cool. I can't imagine what it takes to think up and create it. Out of curiosity, do you use a lathe for the creation of the steampunk pens or turn portions of them?

Si90

Out of curiosity, do you use a lathe for the creation of the steampunk pens or turn portions of them?

Thanks for your kind words. To answer your question. No. I don't use a lathe in the production of my Steampunk pens. They are just brass section, tubes and rod used by model engineers. I cut, bend, file, drill and solder them to get the desired result etc. I do use brass portholes as the attached pic. They are intended for model boat builders. They are available in a range of sizes from 6mm to 20mm. This pen used 27 of them I think.

Attachments

• Porthole.jpg
    Porthole.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 93

Hendu3270

Beautiful pens. That steam punk pen is crazy man. Crazy enough to have gotten my vote. I wouldn't get any work done if it was on my desk. I'd be playing with it all day.

Oh and is that the 12x21 lathe?

Last edited:

Si90

If by that you mean 1221VS, then yes it is. Haven't turned a thing on it yet. Have an issue with the belt but customer service have been fantastic and are sending me a new one.

Cool. what's the issue you're having? Anything a potential owner of that lathe should be concerned with?

The lathe had an awful squeak from the bottom between 100 and 2000 rpm. I originally thought it was the bearing on the motor but it was fine without the belt on. I noticed the belt appeared to be pulsing and twisting on the pulleys as it ran. Turns out it had several stiff spots and some of the grooves had chunks of rubber still in them. I had to cut and file them out. That made it considerably better and just about resolved it but obviously it still has the stiff spots so a replacement is being sent.

Marko50

Simon, do you mind revealing your source for the wonderful brass parts you use, aka, portals, pins, tubes and all things steampunk? There are a gajillion sites out there but do you have one source that is reliable and somewhat reasonable on pricing?

Si90

Simon, do you mind revealing your source for the wonderful brass parts you use, aka, portals, pins, tubes and all things steampunk? There are a gajillion sites out there but do you have one source that is reliable and somewhat reasonable on pricing?

The rods, tubes and profiles I use are made by 2 companies, K&S Precision Metals and Albion Alloys. I have a local model shop that sells them so I buy much of it from there.

The U, C and I beam profiles aren't cheap, £5 - £7 for 1 300mm length. I assume that is because they are machined to shape rather than drawn. As comparison tube and rod come in packs of 4 to 9 I think depending on size for about the same price. K&S do a bag of offcuts. It's pot look what you get but you do get quite a range of stuff. I only buy full lengths of profiles when I have too because of the cost. Most of them come from the offcuts bag. The pieces are up to 4 inches long which is plenty for a pen. I usually by the offcuts bag of eBay as my local model shop doesn't stock it.

Being in the UK I buy the portholes from a shop here called Croppers Models in bags of 10, Croppersmodels model shop in Bridlington east yorkshire. Many people online sell them but he is by far the cheapest I have found. He does sell on ebay under the user name croppersmodels and does state he ships worldwide.

I have done a tutorial for the library which is with Wayne for approval. It goes into detail about what you will need to get started, the materials I use and the process of brazing so keep an eye out for that.

Hope that helps.

Hendu3270

If by that you mean 1221VS, then yes it is. Haven't turned a thing on it yet. Have an issue with the belt but customer service have been fantastic and are sending me a new one.

Cool. what's the issue you're having? Anything a potential owner of that lathe should be concerned with?

The lathe had an awful squeak from the bottom between 100 and 2000 rpm. I originally thought it was the bearing on the motor but it was fine without the belt on. I noticed the belt appeared to be pulsing and twisting on the pulleys as it ran. Turns out it had several stiff spots and some of the grooves had chunks of rubber still in them. I had to cut and file them out. That made it considerably better and just about resolved it but obviously it still has the stiff spots so a replacement is being sent.

Ahh, I gotcha. Definitely nothing that would stop me from moving to that lathe then. Thanks.

Top Bottom