My attempt at Christmas Ornaments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

I have 5 more shows before the market season ends in Knoxville... with Christmas coming thought I would try a few ornaments... some are okay, some didn't turn out quite like I saw them in my head...

The orange and white ones are the last of a slab of Spectraply I bought to try and tap into the University of Tennessee fan base... mostly I've done okay with the items made from it, but sometimes they were slow sellers...
The Tagua nuts were part of a bag I had hanging on the wall in my shop for about 3 years... decided to see what they would do... was surprised that they darkened a little... I've used them in pens and the ivory seemed a little whiter.

Attachments

• 32-3073_0.JPG
    32-3073_0.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 163
  • 32-3074_1.JPG
    32-3074_1.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 32-3075_0.JPG
    32-3075_0.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 32-3076_1.JPG
    32-3076_1.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 32-3079_0.jpg
    32-3079_0.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 32-3081_0.JPG
    32-3081_0.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 32-3080_0.JPG
    32-3080_0.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 32-3082_1.JPG
    32-3082_1.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 172
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
I have 5 more shows before the market season ends in Knoxville... with Christmas coming thought I would try a few ornaments... some are okay, some didn't turn out quite like I saw them in my head...

The orange and white ones are the last of a slab of Spectraply I bought to try and tap into the University of Tennessee fan base... mostly I've done okay with the items made from it, but sometimes they were slow sellers...
The Tagua nuts were part of a bag I had hanging on the wall in my shop for about 3 years... decided to see what they would do... was surprised that they darkened a little... I've used them in pens and the ivory seemed a little whiter.
Very Nice job. No "attempt". well done.

jttheclockman

They came out just fine Chuck. The more you do them the more detailed you will get. Start doing some more segmenting and you really can get creative. Good luck at the shows. Not heard how the season has begun mainly because I have just about stopped doing shows. My 2 shows are in Dec. I use to start the first week in Nov. and every weekend till Christmas. I have to say though I do not miss it. The only problem is I have no other outlet to get rid of some things. I still enjoy the shop time when I can do it. :)

Skie_M

Very nice ... I never thought about using the Tagua nuts for ornaments ... They make a very nice imitation ivory. :)

PapaTim

Hey chuck, thanks for the idea of using Tagua nuts for an ornament top. Now I know what to do with some I've had for a few years. Your ornaments look good, a real inspiration.

Thanks all for the kind words... need to work on my technique a little more and get the "icicles" a little thinner, but I like how most turned out.

Hey chuck, thanks for the idea of using Tagua nuts for an ornament top. Now I know what to do with some I've had for a few years. Your ornaments look good, a real inspiration.

The nuts are surprisingly easy to turn. They're irregular and I left some of the bark on them as accents... I turned the ornaments on a pin chuck in a collet, then turn a little tenon on the "icicles" to fit inside the chuck hole. Works pretty slick and I can turn them pretty quickly.

ELA

Very nice ornaments!

I like to turn tagua nuts also. Never thought to use one in a Christmas Ornament. They do turn darker with age. I have used them on pens as accent pieces.

Top Bottom