My Adirondack Chair

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Geophyrd

Geophyrd

Hiya! So here are those pictures. Worked my arse off on this thing...made it absolutely perfect for milled wood, rounded corners, etc.

Then I used Behr/s Premium Weatherproofing Woodfinish, which is supposed to be clear (Natural color, No 500) and it came out brown. Really brown and mottled. NO ONE use this product. Sigh.

Having said that, it is REALLY comfortable and the only really hard part was the upper cross bar in which I had to cut a 27 degree offset angle on a curved piece. A bevel on an angle, that was fun!

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 185
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pensbydesign

nice job, what type of wood. i purchased material to make one for myself about two years ago i need to find time to get it done.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hiya! So here are those pictures. Worked my arse off on this thing...made it absolutely perfect for milled wood, rounded corners, etc.

Then I used Behr/s Premium Weatherproofing Woodfinish, which is supposed to be clear (Natural color, No 500) and it came out brown. Really brown and mottled. NO ONE use this product. Sigh.

Having said that, it is REALLY comfortable and the only really hard part was the upper cross bar in which I had to cut a 27 degree offset angle on a curved piece. A bevel on an angle, that was fun!
Hi Howard; Would I be correct in thinking these were made from the plans of Norm Abram?

If so, I have made well over 100+ of them. I made a template of the arms, & legs & upper X-bar from 1/4" tempered masonite. That made the work go real easy. I built mine from Western Red Cedar deck boards 5/4" th. X 6" (5 1/2") wide. I used Sikkens SRD to finish them.

Geophyrd

I don't know if Norm did the templates or not

I made them from the templates and plans that are on Woodcraft (LINK). This one was made of Cypress. Wierdly, it doesn't really matter how thick a wood you use. I made mine 13/16", but 3/4, 1" or 1 1/2 would have worked as well.

Padre

I made this one. It's a great chair. I also used Cypress for the chair and a tabale, but my wife painted them as soon as I made them!:eek::eek::eek: Therefore, my 2nd one was made out of pine, which she also painted.

I also made this table which now sits between the two chairs.

Tell me, I notice your plan has no riser for the upper back cradle. Does that affect the stability at all?

Gary Beasley

I just got through making two new Adirondak chairs from cedar I milled from the 6x6 posts I pulled from my deck due to rotting issues. There was quite a bit of good wood left after cutting the bad stock off. Now I have real deck chairs.:rolleyes:
Now I am cleaning up the old pine chairs, painting and replacing the fasteners so we will have four good chairs for the patio.

Top Bottom