My absence excuse: Baby's crib

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GaryMGg

GaryMGg

For the last 6 weekends, my woodworking time has been diverted from turning to a project for the daughter of my wife's lifelong friends.
The crib is a gift to the family. The crib is constructed so that when TJ outgrows it, it'll convert to a toddler bed.
Being wheel-chair bound creates all manner of special requirements for a baby crib.

IMG-20130302-00224.jpg

IMG-20130302-00223.jpg

It's not just functional, it's pretty too. Ribbon Sapelle and tiger maple:

IMG-20130227-00218.jpg

For anyone interested, the in-process pics are online at:
Picasa Web Albums - Gary - Alyssa's Crib

I'll be able to focus on ServicePens again now that this love offering is complete and delivered.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Boz

Very nice work. What finish did you use on the maple? I have been asked by my daughter to make a bed room set for my grandson for when he grows out of his crib. I will be using maple and I don't expect him to be chewing on it I have noticed that there are finishes out there that are non toxic if he does. I like the look of polyurethane on maple as it gives it a very clean look.

PWL

Gary
The work and the thought that went into the building of the crib are both outstanding!!!!

Paul

Rick_G

Nice work Gary, I like the idea of it being convertible. Made a cradle for one of my grandaughters a few years ago and another that will likely need one in a few years, I'll keep this idea in mind when I go hunting for plans.

Ed McDonnell

Very nice Gary. I had looked at the picture before reading your writeup and was wondering about the front access. After reading your last sentence it all made sense. What a great design and thoughtful gift.

That tiger maple is just beautiful. The fit and finish on the whole project looks great. Thanks for sharing your work.

Ed

GaryMGg

Thank you.

Boz, the crib is finished with several coats of dewaxed amber shellac followed by Cabot's Semi-gloss polyurethane.
The shellac warmed the tones, popped the grain and prevents blotching which is a problem with finishing maple.

Funny sidebar: While my wife was doing the finishing--which she's never done before--the tiger maple gave her a lot of unnecessary worry.
She thought she'd created a bunch of runs in the finish :eek:

That is one fine crib... I could have used one like that when my son was little... I could have put a top on it, locked the gates and he wouldn't have climbed out....

I really like your choice of wood... that is beautiful.

GaryMGg

Thank you. The photos included don't really do the wood justice.
Here's a gratuitous shot of the sapelle and maple wet with DNA to show off the grain:

IMG-20130106-00104.jpg

ironman123

Gary, that is a beautiful and well designed crib. The workmanship you put forth has reaped a wonderful gift that is appreciated by the family and will surly last for generations.

Ray

Top Bottom