My 9 segmented Aluminum Celtic Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Parrott

I spent a good portion of yesterday in my shop making a blank and to tell you the truth was not sure it would make it to a finished product. Materials are African Mahogany, Aluminum, and lots of CA. There are 9 inserts making up the Celtic knot. Started and completed in one day. Hope you like it.
9 strand knot.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@Dale Parrott

B*E*A*U*T*I*F*U*L work !!!!!!!!!!

Lovely symmetry !!!!!!!

Just curious ..... why did you do 9 loops ? . . I get that it's one loop every 40 degrees around the circumference ... easier than 36 deg for 10 loops ?
But 8 loops would have been one every 45 deg which might have been another possibility ... the "octagonal" that Richard is going for next.

As I said, .... just curious !! ๐Ÿ˜ :D

Dale Parrott

@Dale Parrott

B*E*A*U*T*I*F*U*L work !!!!!!!!!!

Lovely symmetry !!!!!!!

Just curious ..... why did you do 9 loops ? . . I get that it's one loop every 40 degrees around the circumference ... easier than 36 deg for 10 loops ?
But 8 loops would have been one every 45 deg which might have been another possibility ... the "octagonal" that Richard is going for next.

As I said, .... just curious !! ๐Ÿ˜ :D
I have made knots with 3, 2 sets of 3, 4, and 6. Most folks make either 4 or 6. Truth is I just wanted to be different in both the number of segments and to use an odd number just to mix it up. After looking at my 9 I think 10 would have been to crowded. Thanks for asking.

jttheclockman

Another nice piece of art work. It did look like it worked out well. Did you do this on a bandsaw or one of those micro tablesaws?? This has been on my list of want to try things. Probably 6 or 8 string though. It is quite far down on the list though. That did have to be a pucker factor or 10 on a scale of 10 but it went well from what we see. Thanks for showing.

What size aluminum did you use?? What angle did you use for cuts??

Last edited:

Dale Parrott

Another nice piece of art work. It did look like it worked out well. Did you do this on a bandsaw or one of those micro tablesaws?? This has been on my list of want to try things. Probably 6 or 8 string though. It is quite far down on the list though. That did have to be a pucker factor or 10 on a scale of 10 but it went well from what we see. Thanks for showing.

What size aluminum did you use?? What angle did you use for cuts??
60 degrees and the aluminum was from and outdated licence plate. Take the stickers off and then scuff the aluminum, was about .020". Used my new 10" Rikon bandsaw with the stock blade.

Curly

A triumph to say the least. I encourage you to do another with a very dark wood, black acrylic or ebonite. The contrast between the aluminium and a dark material would be be awesome.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I keep coming back to this today - very enjoyable. AND, whoo hoo, you did it with CA and it wicked in just fine (with repeated applications I assume) ๐Ÿคฃ ;)...

Top Bottom