My 3rd-5th pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from iMattDaddy

iMattDaddy

Here are my 3rd, 4th and 5th pens (actually #5 is a pencil). I wanted to share to get some feedback, if there's any to give from the photos, they're not the best, but I haven't set up a photo booth for my pens yet (don't want the wife to think I'm completely nuts).
Anything constructive would help. All are CA finished, only last two did I have micro mesh for.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 152
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Good going ... nice looking pens !!! . A few more details would be nice. Looks like #3 is a slimline in Padauk, #5 is a slimline pencil with what wood ?, and #4 is a European in what wood ?

D.Oliver

Matt, Let me start of by saying that you are off to a great start. I think I made like nine pens before I got one that was presentable. Looking at you pictures, here is what I see. #3 looks to be a little underturned (meaning you needed to take a little bit more wood off) at the centerband. Can you feel a slight lip when you run you finger over the transition between the center band and the wood barrels? #4 looks to have the edges rouned over on the top barrel where it meets the center band and the finial (the end opposite the writing end). This probably occured when sanding and can be remedied with a light touch with the sand paper. #5 looks good to me. All and all I would say you work is sound and the errors I point out are minor and will most likely sort themselves out as you gain more experience. Looking foward to seeing your progress.

iMattDaddy

Thank you for the feedback Derek. I agree with your assessment and see where I can focus a little better.

Mal, forgot to add that with the attachment issues I was having.

From top to bottom:
#5 Slimline pencil in Bocote
#4 Summit pen in Bethlehem Olive
#3 Slimline pen in Padauk

CREID

Here are my 3rd, 4th and 5th pens (actually #5 is a pencil). I wanted to share to get some feedback, if there's any to give from the photos, they're not the best, but I haven't set up a photo booth for my pens yet (don't want the wife to think I'm completely nuts).
Anything constructive would help. All are CA finished, only last two did I have micro mesh for.

Thanks for looking.

I like the wood on this one. What is it?

Curt

CREID

Thank you for the feedback Derek. I agree with your assessment and see where I can focus a little better.

From top to bottom:

Ok, I should have scrolled down for asking on the wood. I really like Bocote, and the BOW, although I have never turned it. For Padauk, I have always shied away from it because someone I know is allergic to it.

Curt

iMattDaddy

From top to bottom:

Ok, I should have scrolled down for asking on the wood. I really like Bocote, and the BOW, although I have never turned it. For Padauk, I have always shied away from it because someone I know is allergic to it.

Curt

I really like the bocote too. Had not previously turned it, but it was one of the cheapest blanks available in store, so I grabbed a couple and I'm really happy with it.
The olive is one of my favorites, really smooth to turn, and smells nice too. I tested a few years back with an allergy to olive trees, but I haven't had any issues with turning the wood. We actually have an olive tree in our yard, but I haven't had any issues with it either.
The Padauk I got specifically for a coworker who saw my first pen and asked for one in any type of red wood, and that was my first thought.

Thanks for all the comments.

Sabaharr

Wow, allergic to olive trees? That's really the pits. Nice job on the pens. Accuracy to the bushing size will come with practice. You will get it, just keep at it.

CREID

From top to bottom:

Curt

I really like the bocote too. Had not previously turned it, but it was one of the cheapest blanks available in store, so I grabbed a couple and I'm really happy with it.
The olive is one of my favorites, really smooth to turn, and smells nice too. I tested a few years back with an allergy to olive trees, but I haven't had any issues with turning the wood. We actually have an olive tree in our yard, but I haven't had any issues with it either.
The Padauk I got specifically for a coworker who saw my first pen and asked for one in any type of red wood, and that was my first thought.

Thanks for all the comments.

I have turned so many different types of wood, many different rosewoods which seem to be a wood that many are allergic to. The only wood I have ever had a reaction to, and I tried it several times to be certain is Kingwood. I have never seen anyone on here mention it, it may be also under another name. It's a shame to, because it is a beautiful wood. If it weren't for that darn rash I would turn it a lot. I'm itching just thinking about it.:mad:

Curt

CREID

Wow, allergic to olive trees? That's really the pits. Nice job on the pens. Accuracy to the bushing size will come with practice. You will get it, just keep at it.

The pits!!!!?????? That's bad!!!!!!!!
I wish I would have thought of that.:biggrin:

Curt

Top Bottom