My 2nd Place Segmented Contest Entry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Humongous

Humongous

Once again thank you to all of the participants and voters!
20200216_211902 (1).jpg

I wish I could say that I puzzled for hours/days searching for the ideal pattern for this pen but alas I did not. I wasn't even looking to create this blank, It came from a lucky confluence of events. I had purchased a board of Goncalo Alves that had a very nice color difference across it's width. I decided that I would create some bias cut blanks that would show off the color shift. These are a couple of the blanks and what is left of the board.

20210223_183427.jpg20210223_183525.jpg

After I squared up the blanks I had a bunch of these angled pieces left, not one to waste anything especially because I enjoy segmenting, I decided to glue them up to make an angled blank. I then trimmed the blank to size by cutting the points off each side, then it hit me! I turned the points on each other, glued them together and had this great art deco type pattern.

20200215_115421.jpg20210223_183733.jpg

We use the plasticoid at work for wire and terminal block markers and there is a lot of scrap pieces that I liberated from the trash. This material is great for segmenting as it already has the two colors. The manufacturer is Rowmark and there is a section on their website where you can request literature and a sample pack. There is quite a bit of material in the pack to play with and experiment.

I framed the points with black/white plasticoid and completed it with Sepele to continue the art deco feel. Turned and CA finished on a chrome and gunmetal Kojent kit from Woodcraft. This pen has become my everyday carry, It was a lot of fun to make.
Thank you again.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

henry1164

OK, so you did put a lot of thought into making this pen.....once you got started. It's an interesting combination of materials that resulted in a great looking pen and is a tribute to your abilities and experience. Glad you made it and entered the contest.

jttheclockman

It was my top vote. I like what you did. I liked the details in the angled pieces that may have been overlooked. They were subtle but segmented none the less. Nice work.

magpens

Beaut pen .... one of my choices !

Thanks for this additional info. !!!

You use the phrase "a lucky confluence of events" ... I like that !
It's often amazing what sometimes transpires when you just get stuck into doing something even when you don't always have a clear vision of the endpoint .... or you have an endpoint in mind and that endpoint can change as you work !!

I plan to have more to say about this "a lucky confluence of events" after the closure of all contests.

TDahl

I really like this pen, I was wondering how you made the small triangle inlays. Very creative. Thank you for sharing.

Top Bottom