My 2024 BASH Contest Winnings!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings everyone,

Originally I had only planned on entering the IAP Pen Collection Contest, but since I had time after I finished my entry up, I made a few other pens and entered a few other contests. Much to my astonishment all of my entries except for the one in the "Sierra" contest found themselves in the winners' circles. Not only that, I finally won one of Edgar's Puzzles. It was an amazing BASH.

My pen, the Venerable Cigar placed 2nd in the 2024 IAP 20th Anniversary BASH contest. I have always had a soft spot for the Cigar style, one of the very early designs in the "Kit" part of the penturning hobby industry. Thank you to everyone that participated, ran the contest, and voted for the pen. The prize was $200. Of course it was very promptly split between Michelle at Drop Anchor Creations and Ed & Dawn at Exotic Blanks. Thank You to Mark James for running the contest and for being the curator of the collection. And, Thank you to the IAP organization and its membership.

IMG_4177 IAPCC 3.jpg

One of my pens, made from mostly Purple pigments, placed 2nd in the Basic Casting Contest. It was cast using Alumilite Clear Slow and Eye Candy Barney Purple, Kanpanyura, and Amaterasu Silver pigments. I used the blank on a Purple Snap Cap kit from William Wood-Write. The prize was a BOK, (Box of Kits) from Mark (hooked). And, what a generous prize it was. It included bunches of kits and the bushings needed to make them. There were 2 Apollo kits along with the mandrels needed to make them, Aero Twist kits and bushings, Panache Rollerball kits and bushings, Designer Twist kits and bushings, Cigar kits, and a Liberty Bell Kit and bushings. The prize was very much appreciated and was far more generous than I was expecting - Thank You Mark, and, Thank you to Mike Redburn for running the contest.

IMG_4182 Casting Contest P2.jpg
IMG_4263 Cropped (BOK from hooked).jpg

I entered a Chrome Magnetic Graduate made from Ambrosia Maple in the Advanced Kit contest. I turned it with both ends closed and eliminated the cap/clip and the coupler from the lower blank. Much to my good fortune it ended up in 1st place. The prize was a wonderful set of 4 braided pen blanks from John (jttheclockman). See my Pretty Wood Contest post below for the picture of these incredible blanks. Thank you Darrin McArthur for running the contest and Thank you John for the amazing blanks.

IMG_4189 IAP BASH Advanced Kit 3.jpg

I entered an Antique Brass Diamond Knurl Rollerball made from a Spalted Rambutan Burl blank in the Pretty Wood Contest that also finished in 1st place. Much to my fortuity, the prize was a second set of John's (jttheclockman) amazing braided pen blanks. They are beautiful and unique. Thanks to Markus Howell for running the contest, Thank you John for the gorgeous blanks, and Thank you to Stephen Johnson for having them delivered safely to me.

IMG_4175 SPRAM V1.jpg
IMG_4286 Cropped Blanks from jttheclockman.jpg
IMG_4287 Cropped Blanks from jttheclockman label side .jpg

And finally, in Edgar's BASH Puzzle #4, Out of 21 correct entries, my name was drawn to win a BOB (Box of Blanks) from Edgar Dohmann the BASH puzzle man himself. Who knew that being able to scientifically differentiate Spanish Cedar (aka lucky guess) from just a picture and a list of other Cedars could be so fortuitous. The BOB was quite eclectic containing Pecan, Norfolk Pine, Camphor, Koa, Palm, Olive, Corian, Inlace, and Spectraply along with a couple of pen kits and a coffee scoop kit. Wow! - Thank You Edgar.

IMG_4294 Cropped (BOB from Edgar).jpg

So, this year I was certainly blessed by the 2024 20th Anniversary BASH. I am already looking forward to the next one. Maybe we will have a 2024 Summer Extravaganza??? Of course a Huge Thank You to all of the hard work and effort from everyone that went into running all of the contests and events during the Anniversary BASH.

Best Regards,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I would say Dave you did quite well all around. Glad you like my blanks and enjoy them. Hope to see some on some pens.

Todd in PA

Well deserved! I intended to enter several contests, but barely managed to get one submitted. Maybe next year (or next time if it's not 2025). Good times!

Top Bottom