My 14th Pipe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bobostro61

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

Well then,

I went and bought some tobbacco and my Bride asked me "Why"? I really just needed a good excuse to purchase one of your beautiful pipes. But, then again, I'd have to start smoking! Outstanding work!. Be well...........Jan

glycerine

Very cool! I started to make one a long time ago and haven't finished it yet. Guess I'm just not sure what the next step is! I might be asking you some questions...

Bobostro61

This makes me want to make one and try it out. Very nicely done.
Is there a IAP (International Assn. of pipemakers) like ours online?

There's pipe makers forum. Kind of snobby people there though, unlike this forum. I don't bother to post my work there. If you haven't made a thousand pipes or your work doesn't look like it belongs in an art gallery, they give you sh**.

Last edited:

firewhatfire

Do you mind sharing the size holes you have drilled in each piece? I would like to try and make a practice one or 2 before searching out some quality briar burl to make one.

Bobostro61

Do you mind sharing the size holes you have drilled in each piece? I would like to try and make a practice one or 2 before searching out some quality briar burl to make one.

Well, this was actually a pre-bored kit. But when I do the drilling, depending on the size of the block of Briar, the chamber is from 3/4" to 1". The airway is 1/8". Then you drill a 5/16" mortise for the tenon on the stem. 5/16" is average for the mortise, you can make it any size you want but just have to trim the tenon to a tight fit. Too small a tenon you can crack the stem. Too large, the shaft of the pipe around the mortise will be too thin and crack. Hence the 5/16".

Last edited:

Bobostro61

I wish! All I have are the tools in my one car garage. No big shop here to have a sand blaster or any other big tools. My lathe is a Rockler Excelsior. I shape the rest of the pipe (after the lathe) with hand files and sand paper and the occasional sanding disk on my hand drill. Nothing fancy here.

Bobostro61

One thing I'm glad I have is my father's old bench grinder. I took the stones off and put on buffing wheels. Its a 1760 rpm motor on it so its perfect for buffing the pipes. That thing was around my whole life. I'm 51 years old now just to give you an idea. It still runs perfectly.

Top Bottom