Musk Ox

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from keithbyrd

keithbyrd

My son got a Musk Ox a couple years ago and brought me back some horn! This is quite an experience to turn and finish- mistake on this one is I forgot to paint the blank- actually didn't think I would need to- 2nd one is getting painted!
Thoughts and constructive criticism!

Attachments

• 7B38679B-0014-4461-B8C3-EFF30E4D075A.jpg
    7B38679B-0014-4461-B8C3-EFF30E4D075A.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 291
  • 77961D3C-1384-45DC-9846-995ED1EDDA31.jpg
    77961D3C-1384-45DC-9846-995ED1EDDA31.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 276
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Looks great on my screen Keith. In person does the tube show through? I cannot see the tube, and if not, I like the color and striations just fine. Like Hank said, looks "pearlized".

Very nice.

keithbyrd

Looks great on my screen Keith. In person does the tube show through? I cannot see the tube, and if not, I like the color and striations just fine. Like Hank said, looks "pearlized".

Very nice.

Thanks Mark - yes there are a couple of angles where you can see the tube - some parts of the horn are very translucent!

Dehn0045

Very beautiful! Never would've guessed musk ox would turn out like that. Curious if you have a process for horn to prevent cracking? I turned a buffalo horn very early in my penturning and it developed a crack, I've been a little hesitant to try another until I feel more confident about the process...

OZturner

Magnificent Pen Keith,
Glorious Blank, Beautifully Finished,
Like many of the other comments, I can't see any trace of the Tube.
Congratulations,
Brian.

keithbyrd

Very beautiful! Never would've guessed musk ox would turn out like that. Curious if you have a process for horn to prevent cracking? I turned a buffalo horn very early in my penturning and it developed a crack, I've been a little hesitant to try another until I feel more confident about the process...

Thanks Sam. No secret process. Musk Ox isn't like other horns that I know. It can get very soft and pliable - heat in drilling and turning will do that. And as with most horn//antlers it has a foul odor! I originally turned this and because the tube was showing let it set for 2 years and kept putting off finishing it. But when I did little layers of the horn were sticking up and it was very rough. I put 6 coats of glue boost sanded it down, did 6 more sanded it down and then finished it with 2 more. Will see if that will hold! I am working on another today and tomorrow for my son - that I cut two years ago - hoping I don't have the same problem!

Top Bottom