Multiwood Cutting Boards

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

We needed three more of these for next week so here's what I made. Each has walnut, maple, cherry and poplar with accents of bloodwood, purpleheart and African mahogany. They are a bit reflective due to recent shop made mineral oil and wax finish.

Attachments

• 92C55972-93BF-4A78-9E0A-346BC58E097F.jpeg
    92C55972-93BF-4A78-9E0A-346BC58E097F.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 197
  • 4CCDBF0D-1D90-418E-B431-BC59EE8603A8.jpeg
    4CCDBF0D-1D90-418E-B431-BC59EE8603A8.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 203
  • 56D25FE5-CCDB-4001-AE26-A581EBC3E472.jpeg
    56D25FE5-CCDB-4001-AE26-A581EBC3E472.jpeg
    376.4 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

Here is the shop made mineral oil and beeswax conditioner I'll sell for cutting boards and cheese slicers. The containers hold 12 oz, 4 oz and giveaway 2 oz.

Food safe of course.

Attachments

• 5DBD7FE6-A0BE-4BA0-8014-1CCFB1F1D346.jpeg
    5DBD7FE6-A0BE-4BA0-8014-1CCFB1F1D346.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 155

howsitwork

As it's for food use what glue you using Please? Nice work

My cutting boards have all,been Beech and then pyrographed to add features, cartoon etc. Never tried laminating them up but they look good !

Here's the deal Mark. I keep showing my wife the stuff you make and she keyed right into the cutting boards. Now she wants me to start making cutting boards too, especially for her. Really, these are very nice and I appreciate your work as does my wife. But really, nothing new...please;)

mmayo

As it's for food use what glue you using Please? Nice work

I always and only use Tite Bond III as it is waterproof and wipes up with water. I have Gorilla glue when I need space filling which is rare.

My cutting boards have all,been Beech and then pyrographed to add features, cartoon etc. Never tried laminating them up but they look good !

mmayo

Here's the deal Mark. I keep showing my wife the stuff you make and she keyed right into the cutting boards. Now she wants me to start making cutting boards too, especially for her. Really, these are very nice and I appreciate your work as does my wife. But really, nothing new...please;)

That there will be nothing new...I cannot promise that. I will if you wish give you and IAP a step by step tutorial in getting tightly joined boards.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, I am always admiring your cutting boards. You make them look easy.

I do realize with a few additional tools, I could get past the learning curve and make some. But it is far easier to admire yours!

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

mmayo

Mark, I am always admiring your cutting boards. You make them look easy.

I do realize with a few additional tools, I could get past the learning curve and make some. But it is far easier to admire yours!

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Come on in the water's fine.

howsitwork

Yeh but there's sharks out there , cos the board you make will be used and in your eye sight every morning whilst it gets carved up by SWMBO ! Heavens forbid it it's not upto scratch as the all seeing eye observes and comments !

Must admit I enjoy using mine but as I said I just pyrographed some nice designs on.

Lessons on tight wood joints are always welcome and yours look good.

mmayo

Yeh but there's sharks out there , cos the board you make will be used and in your eye sight every morning whilst it gets carved up by SWMBO ! Heavens forbid it it's not upto scratch as the all seeing eye observes and comments !

Must admit I enjoy using mine but as I said I just pyrographed some nice designs on.

Lessons on tight wood joints are always welcome and yours look good.

We use two of my boards EVERY DAY. They look great and if I sent them through the drum sander a couple of times they would look new. They key is sharp knives and regular application of wax and mineral oil mixture. The sharp knife cuts the food while a dull knife requires more force and cuts the board.

Cut baby!

carolc

Mark,
What woods did you use on the cutting board marked as, 56D25FE5-CCDB-4001-AE26-A581EBC3E472.jpeg ?
They all look great, but that one... I'd put in the fabulous category. Great job!
Carol

Buckmark13

That there will be nothing new...I cannot promise that. I will if you wish give you and IAP a step by step tutorial in getting tightly joined boards.
Would love and appreciate a step by step tutorial with pics or video!!

mmayo

I posted a cutting board 101 tutorial in the IAP library. Click on the other projects link and scroll down to it.

Let me know if helps or if you want any more info.

Top Bottom