mulberry bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

its_virgil

Each time someone asks about the Jet mini (1014) for turning things other than pens there is always some chatter about the Jet 1014 not being large enough or powerful enough to handle bowls. I post this bowl in defense of the Jet 1014. The bowl is 9.5 inches in diameter which is about the limit of the size that can be turned on the Jet mini. The bowl is 5.25 inches tall, sanded to 600 and finished with Shellawax liquid friction polish. My Jet handled this size bowl without any problems at all. It performed flawlessly. This is maybe the 30th bowl of this size I've made along with many many smaller bowls and of course, a few pens.

I do not have the curved tool rests but I do have a couple of tool rests I made from hardened bolts cut and welded into a "T" shape. They are short....4 inches and 5 inches long and can be turned so they protrude inside the bowl for the needed tool support. I roughed the bowl with my new "easy rougher" and final turned with my favorite bowl gouges.

Comments welcome: good, bad or indifferent.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• IMG_3282.jpg
    IMG_3282.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_3283.jpg
    IMG_3283.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 165
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Very nice, Don! I've turned a couple mulberry pens from branches off the tree in my front yard, and am always amazed how nice they come out--really easy to work with, and polish up very nicely. You've nailed it!

its_virgil

Thanks for the comments. The wood will darken to a golden brown and seems to do so quickly. I have another bowl that I turned back in April and it is much much darker than this new bowl and they are from the same large chunk of trunk. The trunk was 3 ft across.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Nice bowl, good job.:wink:

Nice dimensions and shape. The wood is very nice. Will that rich, deep color remain or will it fade? Just curious.

its_virgil

Thanks again for the comments. Mulberry is a nice wood to turn. I wish it would stay its current color but I'm confident it will turn golden brown as time passes. I still prefer to turn mesquite...right Curtis?
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom