Mugs for Last Show

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mike8850

Mike8850

I was going to post these before my last show but things got a hectic and I forgot but here goes.

IMG_5803.jpg IMG_5808.jpg

All comments, suggestions or questions welcome
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kronewi

I love the looks of these. I especially love the knurling on the one mug. Never thought of adding that. What tool did you use to add that feature?

Joe S.

Very nice! I too, am a fan of the spiral design!

Where do you get the inserts for them?

There is a capineddie YouTube vid where he got a $3 mug at Walmart, and it turned out to be easier to make. Always wanted to try it, but I can never find the same mug he had.

Last edited:

Mike8850

First thanks for the nice compliments.

Kevin I used a Sorby Micro Spiraling tool and with a little practice it worked real well.
I got mine when I went to a Sorby demo at my local wood store but I think Woodcraft sells them.

Todd I was getting my inserts from my local Meijers store (these are probably the same ones Capn Eddie used) but they no longer handle this style so I'm checking out some other sources. These were less than a third the price of WC. They had a plastic outside that could be remove by taking a screw out of the bottom.
Mike

sctoddc

I watched capneddie's video, also found another by Carl Jacobson....I'm gonna be on the lookout for a few travel mugs, want to try to turn one or two of yhese.

Thanks, Todd

Ever since I saw the kit in Woodcraft, I have really really wanted to turn one of these. Since I am a new turner, I do not have any fancy chucks or anything, just a faceplate. I talked with the guy at Woodcraft for a good thirty minutes trying to figure out a way around buying a 100-300 dollar chuck. We didn't come to a conclusion. Someday I will turn one of these mugs for my dad.

Top Bottom