Mugged by Covid!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

If we can't get ceramic mugs for the bash, what should we do?

• Abandon ceramic mugs for 2022, try again next year

• Order mugs now, run the sale when they arrive in June

• Run the sale during the Bash (Feb '22), deliver in June

Results are only viewable after voting.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I've just learned that if I ordered our ceramic logo mugs today, we wouldn't see them until June. Yes, JUNE! Our 2019 shipment arrived in 4 weeks. The company blames labor shortages, huge order backlogs, etc., etc., The fee to expedite is more than the mugs cost. On top of that, the all-in cost is 50% higher than our prior purchase. I'm even wondering if the situation could get worse, with the Covid threat rising in many areas. I'd really hate to get to June and hear that it'll be another 2 months.

We've been using this company for over 10 years, and we've always been very happy with the product. I hesitate to go elsewhere, but I am looking into other sources. What I've found so far is that for handmade mugs, the entire industry is in the same boat. 24-36 weeks isn't unusual. I'll work on it for a few days, but I have little hope of finding a solution.

If we do get mugs, they will be $30-$35 plus shipping rather than the $25 we usually expect.

I've attached a poll. Please vote. Thanks as always for your helpful comments.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Don't feel bad Jeff. I had a new house built that started in January, we ordered all the appliances, they arrived in July. Furniture was ordered in February, it didn't make it here until early November. I just heard from our builder they can't get windows, glad my house is built, so it's everything and every where. I can wait, I'd just ask that they be made in the U.S.A.

lorbay

I would say hold off for now. This whole labour and Covid thing is getting to every industry.
Lin

Woodchipper

Shortage of workers, truck drivers, etc. It affects imports as well as domestic goods. News showed ships sitting in the harbor at Long Beach, CA which is a major port.
There is a new Wendy's near us. Drive-thru only. The manager was at the window when we picked up our order. Why? we asked. No inside dining...can't get people to work! Basic crew inside is the order of the day.
Plus businesses are offering big hourly wages, sign on bonuses, etc. Heard that some long-time employees are upset as newbies are getting more than they are...after many years. Local factory has a sign for $17-20 per hour!

greenacres2

What a relief!! When I saw the thread title, I thought you'd tested positive, so this is really great news!! June, August, whatever. I'm not going to stop drinking hot beverages. And, if I check the cupboard, I might find more than my "daily drinker" in there. I'll order during Bash, and get it when it arrives. Don't even need to tell me when it's coming…will be like Christmas in July-ish.
Glad you're healthy Jeff, now relax and focus on whatever is really important in Your life. We're blessed to have You!!
Earl

Dale Allen

Jeff, i have a suggestion. I'm sure you could find plain old coffee mugs with nothing on them sitting in a warehouse somewhere.
Then, with all the combined talent in this community, find a way to create the logo on them.
Maybe waterslide labels or 3d printed thin plastic logos that can be glued on.
I doubt anyone ever really uses them for drinking so ........ just a thought

gimpy

Jeff, i have a suggestion. I'm sure you could find plain old coffee mugs with nothing on them sitting in a warehouse somewhere.
Then, with all the combined talent in this community, find a way to create the logo on them.
Maybe waterslide labels or 3d printed thin plastic logos that can be glued on.
I doubt anyone ever really uses them for drinking so ........ just a thought
Just maybe some one has a laser engraving machine and they can burn the log on them

jttheclockman

I brought this up when we were talking about extending the logo vote and sure enough it is true. I have been running into this all year long. I am having my bathroom and kitchen redone and was told back in June it was 24 weeks to get kitchen cabinets. Well the workers are scheduled to start middle of Jan and am told the cabinets will be here in middle of Feb. I have appliances on order for 2 months now but who knows when they will get here. I ordered a washer and dryer over 3 months ago and got delivered last week. This computer I bought was the last one that PC Richard and QVC carried. I was told May or June for them to return. So everything is a mess. I assume 2022 trucks will not be a thing this coming year so if you get one it could be rare.

My question is are we going back to the old mugs style?? Is that what you are talking about? If so then I say order now and wait the order out for however long. Hopefully Tee shirts will not be a problem. As far as prices go I believe you will not see any price decrease in anything now that they got them up. They may even go higher. Covid is going nowhere. Wait to see the numbers after this Holiday season.

Last edited:

LouCee

I voted for the third option, run the sale during the Bash, deliver in June (hopefully). If it does take longer I'm fine with that.
My wife and I ordered bedroom furniture in May. What we bought isn't stocked but made when it's ordered, usually around six weeks. The delivery date was pushed back three or four times, we just received it three weeks ago. It was worth the wait and I think the mugs will be too.

mmayo

I'll buy one no matter how much they cost. Thanks for your help as always.

I've found several items I NEED that cannot be purchased until months from now. Oh well, Merry Christmas anyway.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
What a relief!! When I saw the thread title, I thought you'd tested positive, so this is really great news!! June, August, whatever. I'm not going to stop drinking hot beverages. And, if I check the cupboard, I might find more than my "daily drinker" in there. I'll order during Bash, and get it when it arrives. Don't even need to tell me when it's coming…will be like Christmas in July-ish.
Glad you're healthy Jeff, now relax and focus on whatever is really important in Your life. We're blessed to have You!!
Earl

I wondered if the title would give that impression. Fortunately I've avoided it myself.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Things are improving a bit. One of the competitors of our usual company can get us mugs in March, which is a lot better than June! Price is a bit better as well. The only catch is that they don't do bottom numbering. I have a couple ideas to solve that if we want numbered mugs, such as me using a solvent paint marker to write "1/100, 2/100" , etc.

jttheclockman

Manpower shortages are a legit issue because people have chosen NOT to go back to work. Not a ton of incentive to them I guess, don't quite get it but it is what it is. Blaming COVID at this stage is 100% a load of crap. At this stage COVID needs to be classified as a seasonal virus with variations just like the flu and common cold. You know, like parts of Europe are doing because it has over a 99% survival rate just like the flu and common cold.

I vote for the February option. Prices are up because inflation is destroying every industry and that will not change.
So many things can be debated within this statement. I know this is not the place and not the forum to do it. But these type thoughts are troubling. I do agree about one thing people have been given too much bailout money and continue to rely on it. That needs to decrease.

But covid never went away as the flu does come summer. over 800,000 people USA would like to argue with you. Being closed in once again will spread this deadly virus that much more rapidly. Won't get into the vaccine side but people get flu shots why not this. We are a long way away from recovery from this. Probably another couple years. Sadly.

tn_us-flag.gif

United States

Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:
Recovered:

Inflation, there are different types of inflation and this is called:
Demand-Pull Effect
Demand-pull inflation occurs when an increase in the supply of money and credit stimulates overall demand for goods and services in an economy to increase more rapidly than the economy's production capacity. This increases demand and leads to price rises.
There is the trickle down effect happening here and what I believe also is the greed factor. Many companies have lost so much money because of the shut downs and now things started opening up again they want to make some of that money back. Not all companies but oil industry is a huge one.

I wish everyone a safe journey down these troubling times. Be well.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Let's not wade into political waters. I'll take the blame because of the thread title, and I'll also take the heat for "censoring free speech". This just isn't the place for it.

greenacres2

I would certainly prefer the pottery style over travel but it is by no means my call alone.
Same here. Since i still have a day job, in the past few years i've accumulated at least 15 aluminum beverage containers--i think there are 6 Yeti Ramblers in the cupboard with various company logos on them (love those things, but i don't think i'll outlive the ones i have!!
Ceramic or pottery just carries a different character.
earl

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Just to close the loop on this... The good news is that last week I ordered the usual hand-thrown pottery mugs. The bad news is that delivery is still not until mid-May. So, we'll run the sale during the bash, and ship when they arrive here. I am hoping to have a physical mockup to photograph for the sale, but I'm not sure that will arrive in time. We'll use the photo mockup if necessary. These are 14 oz, mugs, with a simple straight sided design, in "Sapphire Blue" with the logo of course. These mugs will not be numbered, and 75 will be available. I think we're going to price these at $35 plus shipping.

Woodchipper

Lead time is getting to be old hat. News has lead times for building products. Garage doors is 26 weeks. Thanks for the update.

Pete275

I feel the same way as most on her do. I will order one no matter when it will arrive. I have a shelf with all my mugs on it and still have spaces to fill... I still think this web site is one of the best out there and will always support it. Thanks Jeff for all your efforts!

Wayne

Just to close the loop on this... The good news is that last week I ordered the usual hand-thrown pottery mugs. The bad news is that delivery is still not until mid-May. So, we'll run the sale during the bash, and ship when they arrive here. I am hoping to have a physical mockup to photograph for the sale, but I'm not sure that will arrive in time. We'll use the photo mockup if necessary. These are 14 oz, mugs, with a simple straight sided design, in "Sapphire Blue" with the logo of course. These mugs will not be numbered, and 75 will be available. I think we're going to price these at $35 plus shipping.

Any way to lock in one of these mugs since it is limited quanitties? I will happily pay and don't want to be disappointed because I missed to window for purchasing.

HeartofaPen

I am with ordering during the bash and getting when they come in. I have one every year since 2007 and don't want to miss out on this years.

Top Bottom