Mr. Anonymous Game #65 @ 29/06/2019

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi Peoples...!

Time for another game, this time I'm going to ask you to identify a particular type of wood/tree that is part of my "timbers list" and ask some questions about it and see how you all are with recognising this wood.

So, the questions are;

1- What tree species name or number is represented in the pics shown below..?

2- What is the main difference between pic 1 & 2 and 3 &4...?

3- Why...?

I would like to remind you all of the new conditions I introduced in game #32 and that is what actually the gift voucher amount will be spent on, and allow the actual winners to make their own choices. The only RULE that I ask you all to respect is that I allow each 1/3 of the value amount (AU$100.00) to be used for the selection of blanks/packs between the 3 main blanks types I make/sell, there is, raw/natural wood blanks, stabilized blanks/packs and Resifills (cast blanks), this means basically that you can select 1/3 of each type or all raw/natural blanks but never the voucher amount of all stabilized or Resifill blanks, I hope this has come clear if not, let me know...!

A voucher code will be sent by PM or email to the winner that will use it to put his/her's order, any freight/shipping is not included in the prize/voucher so, you will be requested at checkout to pay for posting.

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 247
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 296
  • 034_(1).jpg
    034_(1).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 246
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 283
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Might as well be first to get all of the answers wrong .
1) Australian blackwood
2) & 3) First two pictures show a limb , second picture an elbow on a limb . 3rd and 4th are main trunk pictures , with what some might call a burl , but I wouldn`t . My best guess would be it shows an area where a branch tried to grow , but was killed by a fungus .

robutacion

Might as well be first to get all of the answers wrong .
1) Australian blackwood
2) & 3) First two pictures show a limb , second picture an elbow on a limb . 3rd and 4th are main trunk pictures , with what some might call a burl , but I wouldn`t . My best guess would be it shows an area where a branch tried to grow , but was killed by a fungus .
Very interesting answer Wayne but you've got it all wrong, sorry...!

Try again.

Cheers
George

robutacion

I see that this game is not having much participation, I didn't think the questions are any more difficult than the average questions I ask in these games, nevertheless, I'm sure many of you have seen these pics in the past and may recall what it is, question 2 and 3 are more inclined to those that know a little bit about trees in general and how things develop so please have a go...!

Cheers
George

Don Rabchenuk

#16 Black Wattle
picture 1&2 are straight grained 3&4 are highly figured
Why? It looks like crotch wood with bark inclusions. You can see the other limb in the wood.

robutacion

I'll have more time tomorrow, thanks for the reminder
Sure mate...!

It may be time for me to give a clue and I can say that the wood species in question is a fruit/nut tree as for the rest you guys have to work it out but before I go I leave you with this though, "growing up changes things..." ;)

Cheers
George

Last edited:

edicehouse

#16 Black Wattle
Pictures 1 and 2 are straight grain
Pictures 3 and 4 show where another tree grew into the main piece.

Or pictures 1 - 4 would make amazing bowl blanks.

robutacion

Apricot
Pic 1 and 2 are straight grain.
Pic 3 and 4 are straight grain and end grain.
Tree grew around a crossing branch or a branch from another tree.
You are getting close on the tree species and on the answer to question 2 and 3 and I betchya that when the game is all over and I reveal all the correct answers unless someone else gets it right, you will be annoyed to have missed it...! ;) đź‘Ť

Cheers
George

robutacion

So now you`re telling me that it is a fig tree , with the first photo being from a root growing upwards and the second from the main trunk with a branch . Sure doesn`t look like the fig pieces I have from you .
Fig tree..? where did you see a fig tree with dark heartwood..? That ain't Fig tree wood and what you got from me was the true Fig tree wood...!

Try again...!

Cheers
George

1080Wayne

Well , can`t tell for sure George , but it looks to me like some nut bored a hole into the tree 8 or 9 years ago , probably thinking it would make collection of the almonds easier . Also possible that he was trying to graft a fig onto the almond so that he would be able to have a figgy Christmas pudding , topped with almond icing .

robutacion

Well , can`t tell for sure George , but it looks to me like some nut bored a hole into the tree 8 or 9 years ago , probably thinking it would make collection of the almonds easier . Also possible that he was trying to graft a fig onto the almond so that he would be able to have a figgy Christmas pudding , topped with almond icing .
Hahaha so, you decided to have some fun on me, huh...? :)
I have a gut feeling that you know more than what you are telling us, could you be one of the members that seen my very old post about these nice looking split logs that look like the shape of Italy (the boot) cut from a full-size trunk of a 16 years old fruit tree, they were cut in 2008 1 year before I joined to IAP but I posted a bunch of pics in a post I can't find, I believe I did the mistake I did often in those days and that is adding my stuff on others threads that were somehow talking about a subject that I had examples to show and that is the main reason I can't find those post, if I had started my own thread I would find it easily, my bad...!

Remember these, Timbers preparation 062.jpg

Cheers
George

Attachments

• Timbers preparation 057_(1).jpg
    Timbers preparation 057_(1).jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 209
  • washing sand out of timbers 004_(1).jpg
    washing sand out of timbers 004_(1).jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 198

gimpy

1. Black Walnut
2. The difference between 1/2 and 3/4 is due to different nutrients in the ground
3. Planted in a plantation vs wetlands

robutacion

And the winner is...!

The best or closest answers I had were from rholiday and that will entitle him the winner of game #65 so congrats mate you got the AU$100.00 voucher.

I need to expand a little bit the reason for my questions as it seems that you folks don't know all the facts that relate to these type trees and the different appearance they take as they grow up.

So, the answer to question 1 is the Almont tree.

As for question #2, what is the difference between pics 1,2 and 3,4..? the correct answer would be, on pic 1 &2 the tree is very young and on pic 3&4 the tree is very mature, not only the size of the heartwood but also the colour and grains formed on mature trees, the trees of the first 2 pics were 16 years old and the pics of the last 2 pics, the trees were just over 70 years old

As for question #3 when I ask why the above differences, the only and possible answer is, age (tree age).

I'm going to illustrate the location of this young Almond plantation, the 3th plantation of Almond trees in this same land in 70 years all started by this old fellow's father, in 2008 the plantation owner decided that is was getting too old for all the work needed and the almond nut prices were low with a tremendous increase in costs of the chemicals and treatments to maintain the plantation healthy, little return so he decided to pull all the almond trees he had including a hand full of the first trees planted 70 years ago, all was bulldozed to be burnt which I salvage the most I could.

Almond trees after piled up 23-6-08 001_(1).jpgCutting & loading the Almond trunks 028.jpgCutting & loading the Almond trunks 023.jpgCutting & loading the Almond trunks 001.jpgAlmond trees after piled up 23-6-08 019.jpgCutting & loading the Almond trunks 013_(1).jpgCutting & loading the Almond trunks 025.jpg

The last image is from one of the older trees as for the rest, the younger trees have a fairly short trunk, by the time I cut the root out and the tops where all the branches shot from, I endup with this,Timbers preparation 057_(1).jpg and the funny shape of a boot I would get after splitting a full trunk in half these were the norm with some looking more like a shoe, that part of the trunk was the up part where the branches grew from, depending on how big, how many branches would grow from each trunk the small diameter dark heartwood would create these al many others such as,
Timbers preparation 060.jpg037.jpgTimbers preparation 075_(1).jpg the heartwood size on these 16-year-old ALmond trees was still small, Timbers preparation 067_(1).jpg while the older trees produce more and better heartwoodCutting & loading the Almond trunks 035.jpg but they weren't many, unfortunately.

Merissa and I we spent a few days trying to get as much as we could but they started burning those piles before I had time to salvage any of the bigger trees that were on the back of the property and I only became aware of it at the last minute.

Netherless, we brought home a big bunch of the young trunks that we very carefully washed from the sand they were coved with washing sand out of timbers 004.jpg and then took them to the storage paddock for storage and painting the ends hoping that would slow down the cracking but that didn't work as seen on the last pic only after 1 year Storage paddock 24-6-08 005.jpgwashing sand out of timbers 004.jpgTimbers preparation 033_(1).jpgStorage paddock 24-6-08 003_(1).jpgTimbers preparation 052a.jpg

Lots of work for little reward, most has been burnt as firewood so nothing is wasted...!

Anyway, I hope that my game questions make a little more sense now that I explained the ins and outs of this wood and that you have learnt something. ;)

PS: Winner will receive a PM with the voucher code shortly.

Cheers
Geprge

Last edited:
Top Bottom