Mr. Anonymous Game #60 @ 31/1/2019

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

G'day friends,

Time for another game so let's hope everybody has a good time.

Recently I have been requested to make/cast some blanks where the Banksia pods/nuts are the main material and what needs to be enhanced. Over the years I talked about each and all of the Banksia pods species that are local to me including the ones I grow in my own front yard so and with that said, let's see how good of a memory you have, and answer this question;

Please tell me the names (common) of the 3 (three) Banksia pods/nuts that I'm referring to above.

1-
2-
3-

I would like to remind you all of the new conditions I introduced in game #32 and that is what actually the gift voucher amount will be spent on, and allow the actual winners to make their own choices. The only RULE that I ask you all to respect is that I allow each 1/3 of the value amount (AU$100.00) to be used for the selection of blanks/packs between the 3 main blanks types I make/sell, there is, raw/natural wood blanks, stabilized blanks/packs and Resifills (cast blanks), this means basically that you can select 1/3 of each type or all raw/natural blanks but never the voucher amount of all stabilized or Resifill blanks, I hope this has come clear if not, let me know...!

A voucher code will be sent by PM or email to the winner that will use it to put his/her's order, any freight/shipping is not included in the prize/voucher so, you will be requested at checkout to pay for posting.

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

JessePens

Hey, Sounds like a fun game!
I'm new here, so don't have any knowledge of your past discussion of the banksia pods.

I did some searching on your webpage, and think I found 2 of them:
1) Banksia "Hairy" pods
2) Banksia "Dwarf" pods
3)

robutacion

Hello George, is it
1. Hairy
2. Bull
3. Dwarf
Thanks for doing another game!!

G'day,

Well, 2 out of 3 isn't bad, that #2 Bull Banksia, is not right, yes I have done some work recently with them but, I specifically mentioned "Banksia pods species that are local to me" the Bull or Banksia Grandis is not from around here but from Western Australia, a true native that I haven't seen growing anywhere else.

You have 2 more goes so you will be OK.

Cheers
George

robutacion

I'm new here, so don't have any knowledge of your past discussion of the banksia pods.

1) Banksia "Hairy" pods
2) Banksia "Dwarf" pods
3)

Hi Jesse,

Thank you for your participation, new members are most welcome in these games.
Yes, you being new here will require a little more work from your part (search) but, you were aware of my web-store and that alone is a great source of information.

The order you give to your answers is not important, the important thing is that you find all the correct 3 answers 2 of which you have answered correctly.
I'm not surprised that you did so because those are the most used and talked about Banksias I use, however, I have done some blanks make with this other Banksia species that are quite rare to find but not the most suitable for some types of blanks, never the less this rare Banksia is extraordinarily beautiful.

You may find the correct answer among many of the older threads under my profile so, best of luck.:)

Cheers
George

JessePens

1) Banksia "Hairy" pods
2) Banksia "Dwarf" pods
3)

Hi Jesse,

Thank you for your participation, new members are most welcome in these games.
Yes, you being new here will require a little more work from your part (search) but, you were aware of my web-store and that alone is a great source of information.

The order you give to your answers is not important, the important thing is that you find all the correct 3 answers 2 of which you have answered correctly.
I'm not surprised that you did so because those are the most used and talked about Banksias I use, however, I have done some blanks make with this other Banksia species that are quite rare to find but not the most suitable for some types of blanks, never the less this rare Banksia is extraordinarily beautiful.

You may find the correct answer among many of the older threads under my profile so, best of luck.:)

Cheers
George

Thank you, George. Definitely a tricky question as there appears to be many different varieties.
I "think" I found the 3rd in one of your older posts.

1) Banksia "Hairy" pods
2) Banksia "Dwarf" pods
3) Banksia praemorsa Andrews, or cut leaf Banksia

Last edited:

robutacion

G'day to all,

Some interesting answers on some posts, I would like to remind everybody that scientific names are optional unless they crash with they own common names as for example, Hairy Banksia and Banksia Praemorsa or Cut Leaf Banksia are all the same species and the one I grow in my front yard but "Praemorsa Andrews", JessePens, that species don't exist...!:)

And Mr. edicehouse, where did you find those names..?:eek:

Hi Gimpy, Formosa is not but I can tell you that the flower of the Lambertia Formosa is just amazingly beautiful, most of the Banksias flowers are very pretty.

KJL, Banksia integrifolia is not the correct answer but they make magnificent trees:wink:

Cheers
George

KLJ

Well I have used up my three tries so will now just be a spectator. Thank you for putting on these games they are interesting, I have learned a lot each time. And also have some very nice blanks from these as well.

robutacion

Well I have used up my three tries so will now just be a spectator. Thank you for putting on these games they are interesting, I have learned a lot each time. And also have some very nice blanks from these as well.

Well, you achieve the 3 main goals of these game, 1 is to have fun, 2 you learnt something and 3 you enjoyed being the recipient of at least 1 gift voucher where you have the opportunity to try some of my Aussie blanks for the cost of shipping.

The idea is also to spread the prizes as far wide as I can, participation is the only way to win prizes, new members are always welcome as for the "older" members, the continued participation is one of the drives behind these games so, thank you.:biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Hairy
Dwarf
Serrata

Interesting you mentioning the Banksia Serrata some people confuse the Cut Leaf Banksia with the Banksia Serrata mainly due to the "serration" of the leafs a characteristic of both species, flower colour and dry pod/nut are quite different, beautiful yellow on the flower but a less "desirable" pod size and shape, in fact, the dry pod can be identical to the Banksia Speciosa.

This is also one of the Banksia species well know around the coast of NSW, commonly called "old man Banksia", and another of the Banksias that can develop into a fairly large tree.:)

Cheers
George

JessePens

I'll give my last try, although there are a few others that beat me to it:
1) Dwarf
2) Hairy
3) Speciosa

I learned a lot about Banksia while searching! You put on a great challenge, George!

edicehouse

G'day to all,

Some interesting answers on some posts, I would like to remind everybody that scientific names are optional unless they crash with they own common names as for example, Hairy Banksia and Banksia Praemorsa or Cut Leaf Banksia are all the same species and the one I grow in my front yard but "Praemorsa Andrews", JessePens, that species don't exist...!:)

Hi Gimpy, Formosa is not but I can tell you that the flower of the Lambertia Formosa is just amazingly beautiful, most of the Banksias flowers are very pretty.

KJL, Banksia integrifolia is not the correct answer but they make magnificent trees:wink:

Cheers
George

I found them in your front yard.... LOL, google, bing, ect.

edicehouse

G'day to all,

Cheers
George

I did notice you didn't say I was wrong.

robutacion

And the winner is...?

Hi folks,

It was fun but is time to close the game and announce the winner...!

Congratulations Dehn0045 you were the first to answer correctly to all 3 Banksia species, they are indeed, in no particular order,

- Hairy Banksia

- Dwarf Banksia

- Banksia Speciosa

This last banksia species I use a lot less not only due to its rarity but also due to the size/shape of the pod/nuts, very large holes from where the seeds grow, not so noticeable when the pod/nut is still closed but after spending 2 or 3 days in the oven to remove any moisture, the seed casing opens and you are left with large holes that as I said, require a certain type of blanks to utilise its potential, (which by the way is stunning) that was the case with the eCig blanks I made years ago shown in the pics attached, I still have many of those blanks left that people are now using for knife handles, etc.

Anyway, once again congrats to the winner, an AU$100.00 voucher will be sent via PM very shortly.

I appreciate the effort of all the participants.:wink:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 007a.JPG
    007a.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 178
  • 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

Dehn0045

Thanks George! Your clue about testing our memory is what did it for me. I remembered a recent discussion about a rare banksia pod that you used, this helped narrow my search. As always, learned a little along the way!

robutacion

Thanks George! Your clue about testing our memory is what did it for me. I remembered a recent discussion about a rare banksia pod that you used, this helped narrow my search. As always, learned a little along the way!

Well, the game goals were reached then, is always nice to see members taken on the challenge and have a bit of a learning experience in the process.

Cheers
George

Top Bottom