Mr. Anonymous Game #57 @ 27/10/2018

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

G'day all...!

I've got a very simple game this month, you guys shouldn't have any problems giving the right answer so, look at these 2 pics and tell me,

001.JPG008P.JPG

1- What are they...?

2- From the first pic on the left, how many wood species can you recognise and what are they...? (number or name is OK)

I would like to remind you all of the new conditions I introduced in game #32 and that is what actually the gift voucher amount will be spent on, and allow the actual winners to make their own choices. The only RULE that I ask you all to respect is that I allow each 1/3 of the value amount (AU$100.00) to be used for the selection of blanks/packs between the 3 main blanks types I make/sell, there is, raw/natural wood blanks, stabilized blanks/packs and Resifills (cast blanks), this means basically that you can select 1/3 of each type or all raw/natural blanks but never the voucher amount of all stabilized or Resifill blanks, I hope this has come clear if not, let me know...!

A voucher code will be sent by PM or email to the winner that will use it to put his/her's order, any freight/shipping is not included in the prize/voucher so, you will be requested at checkout to pay for posting.

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

Karl_99

Wands
1-Dwarf Banksia Pod
2-Olive
3-Yellow Gum
4-Knotty Pine
5-Wild Mulberry
6-Peppercorn Tree Burl
7-Cork Tree Burl
8-Tortuosa Willow Burl
9-Peppercorn Burl
10-Brown Mallee

My best guesses...not nearly as easy as you suggest George!

Noot17

I'm going to guess knitting needles.
As for how many woods I recognize, I think 1. Banksia pod, 6. Peppercorn tree burl (looks like a hybrid blank I got from you a while back).
I would make guesses on the others, but don't have time to check your website for comparison right now...

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

robutacion

G'day,

As for what they area, all guesses so far are incorrect, which surprises me, I thought it was a bit more obvious...!

The wood species used may be a little more difficult/confusing particularly for new members that may have not seen much of my woods, so far, some of the species mentioned are NOT part of this lot such as the Knotted Pine, Yellow Gum, Wild Mulberry and Brown Mallee.

Cheers
George

greenacres2

I'm guessing Orchestra Batons for the usage (musical conductors) but with the grind at my real job over the past few weeks--the wood identification is beyond my mental capacity!!
earl

robutacion

Is only a matter of time before someone recognises what they are used for but once again all newer guesses so far are incorrect.

These "things" about 7" to 8" long and they were made as supersized/lengthed pen blanks as Resifills and saying that I use most of the woods I use normally when making Resifills pen blanks that some of you should be familiar with.

Keep trying...!

Cheers
George

Karl_99

Hair Sticks

1-Dwarf Banksia Pod
2-Olive
3-Poplar Burl
4-Sugar Gum
5-She/Bull Oak
6-Peppercorn Tree Burl
7-Cork Tree Burl
8-Tortuosa Willow Burl
9-Peppercorn Burl
10-Maple Burl

robutacion

Don't you guys forget that the question has 2 parts, what are they and what woods did I use.

Is interesting that a number of you said "hair sticks", "wands" magic or not, giant or mini, "miniature waddy", "shoehorns" and so on, those I can tell you they are NOT...!

I wish that I had the skill to use one of these things correctly, the results in the right hands are very neat...!:wink::)

Cheers
George

Buckmark13

They are wooden caligraphy nib holders.

Unfortunately I've just gotten into this addictive hobby, so please forgive my guesses though I did kill a few hours on your site; too many look similar!

Fantastic stuff and thanks for these contests!

Banksia
Olive
Poplar
Pine
Oak
Peppercorn tree burl
Cork
Tortuosa
Peppercorn burl
Maple

robutacion

Unfortunately I've just gotten into this addictive hobby, so please forgive my guesses though I did kill a few hours on your site; too many look similar!

Banksia
Olive
Poplar
Pine
Oak
Peppercorn tree burl
Cork
Tortuosa
Peppercorn burl
Maple

Thank you for your participation, being new to the hobby should never be a deterrent to not participate and have a go, after all, not all questions require a specific experience level with pen turning, the second part of my question may require a little knowledge of my woods something that a "quick" search on my web-store won't fix or at least give some clues and from what I can see, you have done very well, I should mention that Maple is not one of my woods...!

Cheers
George

Buckmark13

Banksia
Olive
Poplar
Pine
Oak
Peppercorn tree burl
Cork
Tortuosa
Peppercorn burl
Maple

Thank you for your participation, being new to the hobby should never be a deterrent to not participate and have a go, after all, not all questions require a specific experience level with pen turning, the second part of my question may require a little knowledge of my woods something that a "quick" search on my web-store won't fix or at least give some clues and from what I can see, you have done very well, I should mention that Maple is not one of my woods...!

Cheers
George
It wasn't a quick search, though that's what my intentions started out as...LOL.

I thoroughly enjoyed looking through it all, though they started blending together a bit. You have a tremendous selection and it's a great way to kill some time.

Thanks again and maybe I'll get the next one...please keep them going!

Karl_99

Knitting Needles

1-Dwarf Banksia Pod
2-Olive
3-Poplar Burl
4-Sugar Gum
5-She/Bull Oak
6-Peppercorn Tree Burl
7-Cork Tree Burl
8-Tortuosa Willow Burl
9-Peppercorn Burl
10- Olive Root

robutacion

Knitting Needles

1-Dwarf Banksia Pod
2-Olive
3-Poplar Burl
4-Sugar Gum
5-She/Bull Oak
6-Peppercorn Tree Burl
7-Cork Tree Burl
8-Tortuosa Willow Burl
9-Peppercorn Burl
10- Olive Root

G'day Karl,

I'm sorry mate, I forgot to add the knitting needles to the list of incorrect guesses on post #19

Time for a re-think, huh...?:biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

And the winner is...?

Ok folks, time to "skin the rabbit"...!:biggrin:

I'm not surprised that the wood species used was a little challenging for many of you but was what they were that I thought most of you guys would have recognised after all this is a penturning community and it took a rookie/new member to get what they were right and 7 out of the wood species right and that my friends, is well worth the prize and the pleasure to give it to someone new, who said new members have no chance to win these games...?

Congratulations Buckmark13, you are the winner of this game, your answer on post #20 was the best one so congratulations mate, you won a voucher for AU$100.00 to spend at my web-store within 90 days, fortunately, you had given up on close up of your post #22, little did you know that you were the one that had the best answer going, huh..? have a little more self-confidence my friend...!:biggrin::wink:

You will receive shortly a PM with your voucher code, spend it wisely and have fun...!:)

I would like also to thank all the other members for their participation in this game, your efforts are most appreciated, thank you.

To complete this game, I will add a couple of additional pics that shows some of the details not seen in the making of the Calligraphy nib holders, these have had a slightly different brass nib designed by the person that requested me to do this job. You will also see a long drill bit and some rod brass, well, this was my idea to strengthen something that would be otherwise too fragile due to the construction materials and the final body shape/dimensions was not easy to drill and turn but I got it done and as far as I know they are people out there using these writing instruments.

Until next time, have fun...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 188
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

robutacion

Ok folks, time to "skin the rabbit"...!:biggrin:

I'm not surprised that the wood species used was a little challenging for many of you but was what they were that I thought most of you guys would have recognised after all this is a penturning community and it took a rookie/new member to get what they were right and 7 out of the wood species right and that my friends, is well worth the prize and the pleasure to give it to someone new, who said new members have no chance to win these games...?

Congratulations Buckmark13, you are the winner of this game, your answer on post #20 was the best one so congratulations mate, you won a voucher for AU$100.00 to spend at my web-store within 90 days, fortunately, you had given up on close up of your post #22, little did you know that you were the one that had the best answer going, huh..? have a little more self-confidence my friend...!:biggrin::wink:

You will receive shortly a PM with your voucher code, spend it wisely and have fun...!:)

I would like also to thank all the other members for their participation in this game, your efforts are most appreciated, thank you.

To complete this game, I will add a couple of additional pics that shows some of the details not seen in the making of the Calligraphy nib holders, these have had a slightly different brass nib designed by the person that requested me to do this job. You will also see a long drill bit and some rod brass, well, this was my idea to strengthen something that would be otherwise too fragile due to the construction materials and the final body shape/dimensions was not easy to drill and turn but I got it done and as far as I know they are people out there using these writing instruments.

Until next time, have fun...!

Cheers
George

Buckmark13

This is fantastic George! I guess all the time I spent on your site was well worth it!

Though it was even before winning, this is now just icing on top the cake.

Now deciding what to get will take up another few hours...decisions, decisions[emoji848]

Thanks very much George!!!

1080Wayne

Congratulations Buckmark13 . You did very well . Only problem is that George hasn`t told you (or us) which ones you guessed wrong .

I gather from your post that the pen designer has not been pestering you for more blanks George , so I assume they were not a marketing success . Never got around to trying the process modifications I suggested . Still on my to do list .

Top Bottom