Moving (and hate it)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Sorry to complain but here we go....and it's hard to complain with 2 lathes of wood under my arms. Moving to new house. Packing the shop is a 1st class PITA. Dumping everything and starting over would be easier physically & mentally. Rather drink muddy water. I was going to have a Garage company (Premier Garage) build work benches and cabinets...however I hate doing something that cost more than my 1st car (66 Dodge). And I'm not in the mood to build a bench so giving thought to a 2x4 or 2x 6 or 2x8 commercial bench about 42-45"high. I'm looking for suggestions for an online kit that will support less than 200 lbs. Please suggest. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey Frank. See if you can find any business that is going "out of business", buy all their counters that you need. Instant work station with shelving. I have 5 in my shop and they all work great and they are really strong and fit the bill. You might pay a bit more but they are way worth it, good and strong.
I've got my move coming next year, boy do I dread it !!!!

WriteON

Hey Frank. See if you can find any business that is going "out of business", buy all their counters that you need. Instant work station with shelving. I have 5 in my shop and they all work great and they are really strong and fit the bill. You might pay a bit more but they are way worth it, good and strong.
I've got my move coming next year, boy do I dread it !!!!
Moving our shop/collections. I'm confirming that having fun is work. Nothing is free or easy. I'm not sure how things got out of control here. After I'm in and organized I'm never reading a catalog or going onto any wood working forums. I'm banning myself from Home Depot. I downgraded my credit card to $499 limit. I'm realizing the definition of insanity. This only goes for the pen stuff and Jet lathes. Also have a 48"taig lathe with pool cue accessories. That's another dept. What time is the Support group meeting next week

leehljp

Member Liaison
When we moved from Japan back to the USA in the winter of 2010, we had so many boxes that we still have over a dozen still not opened. But we do know what is in them - itemized. And I brought back nearly all of my tools except my dual router -router table. I did bring back the routers and all the bits that were in them. My dad left behind a bunch of tools including a Delta Unisaw. With what I brought back, I didn't have enough space in the shop to hardly move around. After giving tools away to son-in-laws and sold the Unisaw. Gradually I cleared enough stuff out to be able to work and set my pen lathe up to do some work.

I bought a couple of rolling work benches for about $120 each that were on sale after Christmas from HD. The nearest thing I can find to them now is $350 each. Normally those work benches were $200 at that time.

I added a second 1 inch thick wood top and use it for my pen lathe. Works very well, but I see where you don't want to spend much.

It is a pain deciding; Do I build cheaper and better (and get tired doing it) or just buy it and have to modify it!

WriteON

When we moved from Japan back to the USA in the winter of 2010, we had so many boxes that we still have over a dozen still not opened. But we do know what is in them - itemized. And I brought back nearly all of my tools except my dual router -router table. I did bring back the routers and all the bits that were in them. My dad left behind a bunch of tools including a Delta Unisaw. With what I brought back, I didn't have enough space in the shop to hardly move around. After giving tools away to son-in-laws and sold the Unisaw. Gradually I cleared enough stuff out to be able to work and set my pen lathe up to do some work.

I bought a couple of rolling work benches for about $120 each that were on sale after Christmas from HD. The nearest thing I can find to them now is $350 each. Normally those work benches were $200 at that time.

I added a second 1 inch thick wood top and use it for my pen lathe. Works very well, but I see where you don't want to spend much.

It is a pain deciding; Do I build cheaper and better (and get tired doing it) or just buy it and have to modify it!
I do not mind spending. I was talking about a garage makeover ... floor, cabinets, etc. was $1000's. I do not mind spending for a good quality bench. I think I can do a lot for less than $1000.

TonyL

I am still shaking from my move from NY..14 years ago. Contemplating it again....but can't shake that feeling. Enjoy and good luck!

WriteON

I am still shaking from my move from NY..14 years ago. Contemplating it again....but can't shake that feeling. Enjoy and good luck!
It never leaves the mind. Damaged. No healing feeling. Moving is for Gypsies. And no relief in sight. Black Fri and there is absolutely nothing I need.

NT_2112

I feel your pain. I am in the process of selling my house and trying to get out of NY. Not looking forward to the process.

WriteON

I feel your pain. I am in the process of selling my house and trying to get out of NY. Not looking forward to the process.
Smooth travels. I'm only moving 15 minutes from
Where I live and I'm rattled. Have been walking in circles.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I'm glad I was 7 years younger last time I moved. I hope I don't have to do it again. Frank I built two of these benches under $50.00
I could have stained them, but.....I didn't.

1606189442195.png

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
And I picked up this base cabinet at a home surplus store (there is a name for it I don't recall right now) and a formica counter top at Home Depot for about $30.00 I had my old compressor in the bottom of it. New one is too big to fit.
1606189824274.png

Jans husband

Hey-Thats like my bench Chuck, except mine is shorter in length. I built mine 5 years ago. We must have found the same web page!!

I recall it took me 3 hours to make from scratch and its as solid as a rock. The other advantage is that you can make it to fit your situation-eg around pipes and conduit running down the wall.
No need to buy at great and unnecessary expense.

I'm glad I was 7 years younger last time I moved. I hope I don't have to do it again. Frank I built two of these benches under $50.00
I could have stained them, but.....I didn't.

View attachment 291386
No body's shop should be that clean... get in there and create some dust. :cool::p

When we moved to TN about 15 years ago, I had a 12x24 bldg put up for my shop, then built similar work bench across one end.. it's the full 12 ft long, about 24" deep and 47" high (so I don't have to stoop)... there is almost a 2x2 ft space on the bench for me to work...

If I have to move again, I plan to use a pine box for me and the kids can worry about the shop.

WriteON

it's the full 12 ft long, about 24" deep and 47" high (so I don't have to stoop)... there is almost a 2x2 ft space on the bench for me to work...
Exactly what I need/want. The garage company I considered using would build that and cabinets but would run close or more than $5000. Would use that money(much less) for an AC unit. I do not mind spending for benches. Husky, Brand X whatever. I'm too old, lazy, etc to build. Prefer to buy and have delivered. Ok for me to assemble

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
No body's shop should be that clean... get in there and create some dust. :cool::p

When we moved to TN about 15 years ago, I had a 12x24 bldg put up for my shop, then built similar work bench across one end.. it's the full 12 ft long, about 24" deep and 47" high (so I don't have to stoop)... there is almost a 2x2 ft space on the bench for me to work...

If I have to move again, I plan to use a pine box for me and the kids can worry about the shop.
These two photos were taken 7 years ago, right after building the shed. At this moment, there is ZERO work space. That's no exaggeration either.

howsitwork

Well having spent over a year helping clear a friend s workshop when he died I look in horror at my collection!

But I love every bit of it , some bits more than others. I don't really need the sliding mitre saw I just got but ....Then again, yes I do 🤞

I envy you you 2 x 2ft of bench space . My bench is 8ft by 2 ft . Bench drill, grinders etc have purpose built stands ( well except for the one I inherited which sits at the rear of the bench ( hence the envy Chuck)

howsitwork

On the biright side . unlike my friend I can actually walk ( side ways but it still counts) into the shop and round . He actually had stuff piled on stuff, piled on stuff, you get the picture?? Think Harry potter scene where the high shelving starts to fall and dislodges lore stuff accross the room...

WriteON

NO!!! But here's a work bench for you. Just put it together. 5" long at $149. you can get 3 or 4 well within your budget.

Not bad...might take look at it. I like the 20"depth. Just came across this...It has potential. The height is there. Can get it in 6 or 8 ft. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8..._-206288247-_-207131346-_-N&#product-overview

WriteON

Steel cabinets in a hot humid garage. Is rust going to be a problem? Husky cabinets look like a good value but for the price not sure how good the quality is.

Gary Beasley

If you're worried about that you can get some bag of silica gel and throw in the cabinets. I think the biggest rust problem is from condensation when the temperature changes. The cabinets should slow those changes a good bit, as well as keeping the garage shut at night.

Top Bottom