Most difficult thing about pen turning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

When I was an aircraft mechanic we described it as "bench blind". It didn't matter if it wasn't where you just put it or if you opened your toolbox and couldn't see it in the allocated spot. Someone working with you would reach in front of you and pick it up and say "This one?"

The only thing more frustrating was being on top of a 14' ladder and climbing down for something and forgetting what it was when you got to the toolbox. Climb back up and instantly remember when you got back up. Down you go and forget again. At that point it was better for someone to take over for a bit or walk away for a break. Still do that too. :(

PBorowick

I've only been turning pens for about 4 months but I can't even begin to (and don't want to) count the number of times I have stopped to look where the heck did I put the bushings at...........oh, they're on the blank already.....which is in my hand.....:rolleyes:

MTViper

When I was an aircraft mechanic we described it as "bench blind". It didn't matter if it wasn't where you just put it or if you opened our toolbox and couldn't see it in the allocated spot. Someone working with you would reach in front of you and pick it up and say "This one?"

The only thing more frustrating was being on top of a 14' ladder and climbing down for something and forgetting what it was when you got to the toolbox. Climb back up and instantly remember when you got back up. Down you go and forget again. At that point it was better for someone to take over for a bit or walk away for a break. Still do that too. :(

You think climbing down from a 14' ladder is frustrating, I worked with a lot of guys who worked in and on wind turbines. Imagine climbing 298' in the air and remembering that you've forgotten something. Takes a long hand line to get someone on the ground to hoist it up to you.

Woodchipper

Along the same lines that memory can temporarily fail us. A friend was bowhunting several years ago. Ties his haul line to his safety harness and shinnied up the tree with his climbing tree stand. Tried to pull up the bow. Forgot to tie the line to the bow! Back down and start over! We still chuckle over this.

MTViper

Along the same lines that memory can temporarily fail us. A friend was bowhunting several years ago. Ties his haul line to his safety harness and shinnied up the tree with his climbing tree stand. Tried to pull up the bow. Forgot to tie the line to the bow! Back down and start over! We still chuckle over this.

As my mother used to say "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

WriteON

What gets me is I put everything away so I know where it is.... forgetabout that. Does not work. Sometimes I forget I had the item or tool.

MDWine

I gotta tell this story... my wife is the chief 'finder' of all lost things. (of MY things, not hers!)
I was working on my truck outside, dropped a screw. Judging from the sound it didn't go far, but danged if I could find it.
I jumped through hoops to purchase a replacement (2 dealerships and 2 days later!).
My wife asks me why all the fuss? I told her about the dropped screw. She walked directly to the back of the truck and picked up the screw.
She does the same think in my shop when I just cannot find a thing... maddening!

Woodchipper

I gotta tell this story... my wife is the chief 'finder' of all lost things. (of MY things, not hers!)
I was working on my truck outside, dropped a screw. Judging from the sound it didn't go far, but danged if I could find it.
I jumped through hoops to purchase a replacement (2 dealerships and 2 days later!).
My wife asks me why all the fuss? I told her about the dropped screw. She walked directly to the back of the truck and picked up the screw.
She does the same think in my shop when I just cannot find a thing... maddening!
Know what you mean. Lost a part off the lawnmower and one of my dogs started sniffing in the yard...wife looked and there it was!

I dropped a screw for a pocket knife I was working on. Got the magnet out and passed it around the entire floor space. Couldn't find it anywhere and it's a screw that's very small and you can't replace it. I was beyond frustrated and used some pretty strong words to express my frustration. So I stopped, took a couple deep breaths and tried to think of where the screw might have gone. Then....I thought, for some strange reason, to look at the bottom of my boot. There in a tread was the screw, good as new.

RicklesssS

I dropped a screw for a pocket knife I was working on. Got the magnet out and passed it around the entire floor space. Couldn't find it anywhere and it's a screw that's very small and you can't replace it. I was beyond frustrated and used some pretty strong words to express my frustration. So I stopped, took a couple deep breaths and tried to think of where the screw might have gone. Then....I thought, for some strange reason, to look at the bottom of my boot. There in a tread was the screw, good as new.

Whoa.........!
Now THATS a trick that's worth remembering!
I wonder how many times that's where my "impossible to find" missing part ended up??
Thanks for the best thing I've learned today.

Top Bottom