Mornings experiment.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

Since we are still under " stay at home" order here in Michigan, what better to do than some blank making experimentation. I really like this one, took most of the morning to assemble the blank. Used my new jig that I have recently shown here.
IMG_1607.JPG
IMG_1608.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Looks good and looks like you are having fun with that design idea. I am sure there are more possibilities to come from this. Keep up the good work.

Larryreitz

That's some really good eye candy you've made. I really enjoy seeing them. Not sure I'd ever have the skill and patience to make one. If you don't mind could you comment on the time you have into the blank?

KenB259

That's some really good eye candy you've made. I really enjoy seeing them. Not sure I'd ever have the skill and patience to make one. If you don't mind could you comment on the time you have into the blank?

The blank took about two hours, but most of that was just letting glue dry. Like I've said before, jigs are the key for successful segmenting. Patience isn't one of my virtues. I should not have turned it the same day I made the blank, but I couldn't wait. Luckily this time, it all worked out. I did glue this one up with CA, any other glue, I would have waited a day to turn.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

@KenB259

You have the maple core, the green veneer, and the checken fillets (what I previously called "pennants").... what wood are the end caps ?

I think I understand the way the construction of the blank goes. . But something is not altogether clear ......

You use chechen blanks and glue the green veneer totally surrounding them, right ? .... Then you cut the corners off, making the fillets, which are of triangular cross-section and now have green veneer on only two sides.

You glue the fillets into the grooves in the maple core and take off the excess fillet material, returning the segmented blank to a square cross-sec.

But .... I don't understand why, in the very first picture, the green veneer is not double thickness ..... am I missing something ?
Or maybe it actually is double-thickness ... but it only appears single-thickness after the re-squaring that has taken place. . (sawdust in "gap")

I CAN see that, as you turn the blank round and down to size, that the doubled-up green veneers will separate into single thickness as the maple core appears between the fillets. . But to start with, there should be two thicknesses of green veneer all down the "diagonals" .... I think !
That's because each of the eight fillets is shrouded in a layer of green veneer (except on the outward-facing surface).

I can sure imagine how much fun it must be to see the final pattern emerging as you turn the blank round and down to final size !!

Great work, Ken !!!

Last edited:

KenB259

@KenB259

You have the maple core, the green veneer, and the checken fillets (what I previously called "pennants").... what wood are the end caps ?

I think I understand the way the construction of the blank goes. . But something is not altogether clear ......

You use chechen blanks and glue the green veneer totally surrounding them, right ? .... Then you cut the corners off, making the fillets, which are of triangular cross-section and now have green veneer on only two sides.

You glue the fillets into the grooves in the maple core and take off the excess fillet material, returning the segmented blank to a square cross-sec.

But .... I don't understand why, in the very first picture, the green veneer is not double thickness ..... am I missing something ?
Or maybe it actually is double-thickness ... but it only appears single-thickness after the re-squaring that has taken place. . (sawdust in "gap")

I CAN see that, as you turn the blank round and down to size, that the doubled-up green veneers will separate into single thickness as the maple core appears between the fillets. . But to start with, there should be two thicknesses of green veneer all down the "diagonals" .... I think !
That's because each of the eight fillets is shrouded in a layer of green veneer (except on the outward-facing surface).

I can sure imagine how much fun it must be to see the final pattern emerging as you turn the blank round and down to final size !!

Great work, Ken !!!

I only glue the vaneer to to the inlays, not in the grooves. Wherever you see green, it is one layer.

Last edited:

KenB259

@KenB259

Great work, Ken !!!

End caps are just some really plain looking goncola Alves.

Top Bottom