More yarn spinners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from chartle

chartle

More yarn spinners these are Supported Spindles.

20191221_171506.jpg
20191221_171534.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

Would a piece of hose tube to stop the chuck jaws marking it not work? ie stick the end into a bit of hose then grip that in either pen jaws or outside jaws and sand to your heart's content?

chartle

Would a piece of hose tube to stop the chuck jaws marking it not work? ie stick the end into a bit of hose then grip that in either pen jaws or outside jaws and sand to your heart's content?
Yes but was improvising. I used 2 layers of tape and no marring.

Also just needed to put a point on the end.

Last edited:

chartle

By the way what's the segmented base for ?
Look at the second pic. Its what you spin it on. In middle I used lignum vitae for the wear surface.

Also check the Spinning video I posted. The one i thought i cut out the audio of my son ordering Thai food.

Some use little ceramic bowls.

Last edited:

dogcatcher

For a jam chuck, Take a 4x4x8 block, on one end drill and tap to fit the lathe headstock threads. Turn round, then drill a 1/2 hole as deep as you can from the tailstock end. Ream that hole with a 2MT reamer. Then cut that end to make "4 finger collet". To tighten that collet, I would use a leather cord, just wrap and tie to tighten the "4 fingers". An option would be a hose clamp or taper that end and make a slip collar that would tighten the "fingers".

You might want to eventually make this out of a hard plastic like Delrin or nylon. But I would start with straight grained hardwood like maple or Osage.

chartle

For a jam chuck, Take a 4x4x8 block, on one end drill and tap to fit the lathe headstock threads. Turn round, then drill a 1/2 hole as deep as you can from the tailstock end. Ream that hole with a 2MT reamer. Then cut that end to make "4 finger collet". To tighten that collet, I would use a leather cord, just wrap and tie to tighten the "4 fingers". An option would be a hose clamp or taper that end and make a slip collar that would tighten the "fingers".

You might want to eventually make this out of a hard plastic like Delrin or nylon. But I would start with straight grained hardwood like maple or Osage.
I used tape. 🤔🙂

howsitwork

Thanks for that video. I have a mate in australia who makes " drop spindles" so wondered about the base.

Merry Christmas !

chartle

Thanks for that video. I have a mate in australia who makes " drop spindles" so wondered about the base.

Merry Christmas !
I've seen a dozen or so styles of drop spindles, same for supported spindles and even grasped spindles where the person just sort of spins the spindle in their fingers.

chartle

NICE! I'm really enjoying your segmented disks.
I cant afford big pieces of wood. 😉

But then again look who I'm talking to. 🤣

But really it adds a ton of "style" and I feel it's more stable than a single flat piece of wood. There is no side grain.

Top Bottom