More Stonework

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnGreco

JohnGreco

Stonework? Stone work (2 words)? Not sure which is right, but here is a sample of my latest stone pens. I'm hooked and I'm quite sure my mailman hates me for all of the stone being delivered to me LOL. This is just Alabaster but I have a few different types of marble I'm anxious to work on some more. Thanks for looking, C&C are always welcome.

Attachments

• Stone Ivory Rollerball with Crystals 2.jpg
    Stone Ivory Rollerball with Crystals 2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 380
  • Stone Ivory Rollerball with Crystals 1.jpg
    Stone Ivory Rollerball with Crystals 1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 208
  • Stone Ivory Rollerball with Crystals 4.jpg
    Stone Ivory Rollerball with Crystals 4.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 197
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnGreco

Thanks folks :) It's really the kind of material you have to REALLY want to see the finished product, because the stone dust is a nightmare of a mess.

OZturner

Magnificent Combination John.
Beautifuly Crafted Soapstone, perfectly matched to the Kit.
Your Fit and Finish is Superb.
I am glad I didn't have to clean up after you.
It would have been easier to see, if you changed the background.
White on White is not the easiest to see.
But I suppose that everything was covered in white powder after you had finished turning.
Congratulations,
Brian.

JohnGreco

Thanks for the kind words, everybody. This kit was one that I was never really fond of, but when I got this piece of alabaster I *knew* it had to be paired together :)

Very nice. Have you tried jade yet?

Ed

Funny you should say that....I've been looking into it, but a piece big enough for a pen is beaucoup bucks. I have some crinoid marble, which I believe is a 5 or 6 on the Mohs scale and That was quite a workout. I suspect Jade will be harder, but a challenge I look forward to.

JohnGreco

Thanks. Drilling has been a combination of HSS, Cobalt bits, and masonry bits I ordered from England (no metric size masonry bits here in the States). Cutting has strictly been on my wood lathe with carbide. Jet 1221VS...putting it through its paces :p I found the middle gear setting works best for stone, it has enough torque to push through and a decent low end RPM (the fastest I turn these at is 900 RPM vs. 3000 RPM for wood or acrylic, start the turning around 250 RPM)

keithbyrd

John - That is fantastic - really a great job! Very impressive!
I have a piece of soapstone that I have been afraid to start!

So how many carbide bits are you burning through on one pen!?

Last edited:

JohnGreco

Thanks. Keith- It's not too bad on the Alabaster after I played around with different tool rest heights. Stone is very different from wood, you're not slicing it. The marble is killer though, just about one 4 sided insert per section, so 2 for a pen with a cap.

mtassie

My nephew mines alabaster in new mexico, he cuts the stone and sells it on ebay. He sent some to my brother and I tried it once and it just blew apart, that was enough for me. My brother had better luck. Great looking pen

alaskanmarine

OK,
I give up, this is my first post although been kibitzing for a year or two. I have soapstone and argilite sitting around the shop serving as paperweights. Time to get serious!
Well done John, outstanding pen and thanks for the push. ;)

TimS124

Nice pen. Thanks for sharing your results and technique.

I've turned soapstone and have some alabaster waiting...for some day when I'm willing to clean up the mess it will no doubt make. :big grin:

TimS124

Soapstone is softer than alabaster, so it's a bit easier to work. It sands very quickly as well.

Lots of different colors available depending on where your soapstone comes from...and the color can change dramatically when a finish is applied (oil, shellac, lacquer, etc).

You can see what the "finished" color will likely be just by wetting the stone. Sometimes the dry piece will look pretty boring, but once you wet it, the color is surprising.

Other pieces of soapstone have shown the opposite results...interesting color/grain when dry but solid black (or very dark) when wet/finished.

Here's a soapstone shaving brush I made late last year as a Christmas present:

1_Shaving_Brush_Dec_17_2013__small_.jpg

Turned quickly, sanded quickly, but it makes lots of dust along the way (likely very similar to what you had while working alabaster).

JohnGreco

Looks good! Yea the stone dust is the worst part really. Even with dust collection right at my lathe it gets all over my tool rest which literally grinds me to a halt. I have to keep stopping to re-wax it every few passes (I like my tool to slide around easily).

TimS124

The dust from soapstone is essentially talc...add some fragrance and have cheap baby powder. :)

It has a naturally (slight) slippery feel to it. I have some alabaster waiting to be worked some day...need to give it a shot then I can compare the two better.

Top Bottom