More Spalted Tamarind, in a Celtic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KMCloonan

KMCloonan

This Celtic pen was made from the other half of the Spalted Tamarind Blank I showed off a couple days ago

I did not think it was possible, but this half of the blank has even more amazing spalting. I think it looks good with the Antique Pewter finish as well.

007.JPG

006.JPG

005.JPG

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but for the past year or two, the Celtic kit components' diameters are pretty different from the bushings. The nib diameter where it meets the wood measures about 0.508" - the bushings are 0.530" for both - I had to write a reminder to myself to always check the diameter of the parts, and turn to those dimensions. I know, that's how we're supposed to do it, but most times, the parts and bushings match up pretty well. The Celtic kit is the only one I know of that is off by more than 0.020".

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

Beautiful work! That blank used is exceptional. Stabilized ? Where did you order it from ? I've turned spalted tamarind but it didn't look nearly that good.

KenB259

I have a block of spalted tamarind I bought a few months ago, it's still encased in wax and you're making me want to break into it. To my eye the antique pewter matches perfectly with the blank colorwise and the Celtic designs on the components, weaving in and out goes well with the spalting "patterns".

KMCloonan

Beautiful work! That blank used is exceptional. Stabilized ? Where did you order it from ? I've turned spalted tamarind but it didn't look nearly that good.
I bought the blank from Steven Davis (Daviswoodessentials.com). I have been very happy with the quality of blanks from him. I stabilized the blank because it felt pretty light, so I did not know if it was punky.

Top Bottom