More Solid Stone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnGreco

JohnGreco

Trying to get a few more solid stone pens done in between filling orders with more marble in the works. This is alabaster on rose gold and black titanium. The finish on the stone is the stone itself MM'd and buffed repeatedly until I get the shine you (can sort of) see here. C&C welcome. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Stone Rosegold Twist 1.jpg
    Stone Rosegold Twist 1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 466
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Super nice job on turning the alabaster! The polished stone surface looks shines like a CA finish! I need to try some alabaster.

BJohn

Another great job John.

Still have not had time to try my third Alabaster. But seeing another of yours is going to get out in the shop tonight to get it cut drilled and ready for the tube.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I love the stone! I have used that kit for some polymer clay and really like it - it is a different combination, but with certain pairings is really nice.

Nice job!

JohnGreco

Thanks! I have a few criteria that must be met by the hardware I use for the stone pens. They have to have a nice sense of balance when they have a heavier body, and they need to have some 'meat on the bones' after it's turned. The Aero fits that bill nicely.

Y'know, the Aero is one of my favorites these days. Not too pricey. Easy to assemble. Durable. But I'm thinking you took this kit to a new (higher) level.

The penmaker's craft is one of skills (turning, finishing, assembly) and vision (being able to imagine what it'll look like before starting). Super good on both accounts here!

TonyL

Beautiful work! I just got my hands on some granite and marble (solid stone) from a counter top company dumpster - the were only too glad to give it away. I am sure it's not like turning and finishing acrylic. I have to Google around some. Again, beautiful work.

CrimsonKeel

I grabbed a piece of alabaster from the pass it forward box #2 and now i want to push it forward in my line of pens to make. can you cut it with HSS?

JohnGreco

I grabbed a piece of alabaster from the pass it forward box #2 and now i want to push it forward in my line of pens to make. can you cut it with HSS?

It depends on the piece, I've found different pieces are harder than others. Some are pretty soft, others are nearly as hard as marble. If you are drilling and it keeps blowing out, the answer would be No :biggrin:

eranox

That is absolutely amazing. It's incredible what kinds of things nature leaves scattered in the dirt.

Maybe I missed an explanation somewhere, but how?! How do you do that?

Top Bottom