More Ribbons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Todd in PA

Todd in PA

I'm continuing experiment with casting tubes wrapped in ribbon. I don't find similar technique on IAP or the internet, but perhaps I'm using the wrong searches. This cannot possibly be a novel idea. Maybe it's not done because really it's just not that attractive. Therefore I genuinely invite critique and comment.

D4415034-BE4F-4D0C-B765-FCF5334B60D0.jpeg
CB5D8B0F-DE7B-4692-B1DF-067F026BCCDC.jpeg
54459F11-39C8-4910-B8D0-DDD888B938B9.jpeg
F18F3E8E-7E01-420B-A8E4-678BCBFFBCCA.jpeg
7C9E48F7-81CC-4189-ACD6-609EA3D62C91.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
There will always be something new.. Even if it was done before, but you never saw it - happens all the time! Your blanks are superb!!!!! They are unique for each and is very nice. I will add, some thought to trim rings to give a separation between your layers might be something to consider. Darn nice job! 👍 👍

KMCloonan

Maybe it's not done because really it's just not that attractive.
I think the pens are quite attractive - seriously, they look really cool. I think you're on to something. I like Mark's suggestion about adding some trim rings - maybe aluminum, copper, or brass trim rings would look pretty cool.

Thanks for the inspiration!

jttheclockman

If you can adhere it to a tube then it can be cast. As far as the chain thing, I bought chains a few years ago but never got to incorporate. Glad to see you do it and now gives me hope to give it a try also. The ribbon thing is a women pen so if you are selling you may want to gear your kits toward the female likes. Keep up the good work.

MRDucks2

I think they look pretty neat from the photos. It would be interesting to see how you start and stop the ribbon of you care to share.

Valleyboy

You're definitely onto something and they look great. I've seen blanks made using Japanese fine thread, but never with ribbon like this. Kudos!

howsitwork

I find the results most pleasing to the eye. The wooden top and base adds to the design in my view. I'm not sure whether a coloured trim ring at the base contrasting with or in some way tied into the design would be of use.

Great idea , well executed

Todd in PA

It would be interesting to see how you start and stop the ribbon of you care to share.
I painted the tubes a contrasting color and let it dry. I lined a dowel with wax paper and used tape to secure the starting end of the ribbon to the dowel. The painted tube fits onto the dowel over the wax paper which prevents accidentally gluing the dowel into the tube. On the other end I tied a weight to the ribbon to keep things taught. Then coated the tube with 5 min epoxy, on the thick side, and then carefully twisted the dowel to wind on the ribbon. I went all the way past the other end of the tube and clamped the dowel in my vice to set up.

I made end caps by drilling a hole the same size as the tube all the way through, and the re-drilled half way though with a larger bit to accommodate the ribbon.

About a centimeter or so from the end of the tube, I scored the ribbon the whole way around with a utility knife, and removed that bit off the end. I used my wife's best snips to trim any stray fibers (this is the most dangerous part of the whole operation because my wife will know if I dull her snips!). After that it's just a dry fit, look, and trim until the end cap sits right.

Todd in PA

The ribbon thing is a women pen so if you are selling you may want to gear your kits toward the female likes.
Good point. This Zen kit may not be the best choice then. What I liked about the zen was the single tube length and over .5" bushing— basically I chose the kit based on the crafters goals rather than the end recipient.

What models does the IAP community think would accommodate the ribbon AND appeal to women?

Todd in PA

. I'm not sure whether a coloured trim ring at the base contrasting with or in some way tied into the design would be of use.

I have some colors of vulcanized fabric I might use. Metal trim rings would look nice too. I have wood stain and could color the wood, but suspect that might be too much of a red-on-red kind of thing.

MRDucks2

I painted the tubes a contrasting color and let it dry. I lined a dowel with wax paper and used tape to secure the starting end of the ribbon to the dowel. The painted tube fits onto the dowel over the wax paper which prevents accidentally gluing the dowel into the tube. On the other end I tied a weight to the ribbon to keep things taught. Then coated the tube with 5 min epoxy, on the thick side, and then carefully twisted the dowel to wind on the ribbon. I went all the way past the other end of the tube and clamped the dowel in my vice to set up.

I made end caps by drilling a hole the same size as the tube all the way through, and the re-drilled half way though with a larger bit to accommodate the ribbon.

About a centimeter or so from the end of the tube, I scored the ribbon the whole way around with a utility knife, and removed that bit off the end. I used my wife's best snips to trim any stray fibers (this is the most dangerous part of the whole operation because my wife will know if I dull her snips!). After that it's just a dry fit, look, and trim until the end cap sits right.
Thank you. I was quite interested in how you hid the ends. Great explanation.

BULLWINKLE

I'm continuing experiment with casting tubes wrapped in ribbon. I don't find similar technique on IAP or the internet, but perhaps I'm using the wrong searches. This cannot possibly be a novel idea. Maybe it's not done because really it's just not that attractive. Therefore I genuinely invite critique and comment.

View attachment 341400View attachment 341401View attachment 341402View attachment 341403View attachment 341404
A unique idea. I think they look great. Excellent all around.

AllanS

The ribbon thing is a women pen so if you are selling you may want to gear your kits toward the female likes.
as a bit of a counterpoint on one of the pens I'd say that the light and dark alternating green one is giving a solid camo/parachute cord vibe to it. It might do well around an Army base, VFW types, etc

Todd in PA

Bump.

I decided the best application for this technique would be for seam rippers. I have a mothers day show coming up and realized I sold all my double rippers (I also did sell 2 of 4 of the pens shown above). Ordered more seam rippers and decided to make a batch using ribbon. The long handle is a plus, as is the extra thickness in the handle.

These have maple end caps and a thin pvc veneer separating the wood from the resin. Finished with CA and polished.

#SEAM - Ribbon Seam Rippers 2023-04-16 004.JPG

#SEAM - Ribbon Seam Rippers 2023-04-16 006.JPG

#SEAM - Ribbon Seam Rippers 2023-04-16 008.JPG

#SEAM - Ribbon Seam Rippers 2023-04-16 010.JPG

Attachments

• #SEAM - Ribbon Seam Rippers 2023-04-16 004.JPG
    #SEAM - Ribbon Seam Rippers 2023-04-16 004.JPG
    598 KB · Views: 35

jttheclockman

100% agree with you on this choice Todd. I may have to steal this idea (hope you don't mind):). Last year I bought a bunch of those seam rippers and planned on making a few. They sit idle for now but your ideas are intriguing.

Woodchipper

Custom fishing rods have what is termed, "thread art." All kinds of patterns but the time needed would price the seam rippers waaaay high.
A simple pattern with one or more threads would be feasible. Thanks for the photos and it ideas. Imitation is the best indication of flattery.

Top Bottom