More Respirator talk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I'm seriously looking into a good quality unit. Most likely 1/2 face so I can wear safety chemical goggles with it. Not sure what size to buy med/large. Will find out real fast. Anyway are you using N95 or P95. I'm considering the P95 as it's for Gluing(and all around use). That $8 bottle of CA is going to cost about 8-10,000 if I croak. 3M products seem to be the one to get as filters are usually available. I know this subject has been covered repeatedly but let's update as new stuff comes out. Thanks, Frank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Look in town or in the closest large city for an industrial supplier that also sells safety gear. They should have someone in house that can fit test the mask to get the proper size and select the filters for your applications. A proper fit test involves you putting on the mask and then a hood over your head in which they introduce a strong smell. If you can detect it you try another size or brand of mask.

I use a full face instead of a half mask and goggles/safety glasses because it is more comfortable, seals better and protects the eyes. Less junk on your head when you add ear protection. The downside to a full face is if you need glasses because you either have to wear contacts (I do) because they don't seal around the arms of your glasses. The bigger companies like 3M make clip in frames that fit in the mask that you can get you lenses for. They add to the cost of safety though.

TonyL

I found a small 3m that I like, when I visit my shop, I will get the model. Rockler had it on sale for 25, plus some free filters.

pshrynk

While we're at it, I keep seeing face shields that are really clear. The only ones I've seen in the wild are all cloudy and don't really add to the experience. Any suggestions on a model to look at?

budnder

FYI - I had a half mask but really did not like the way my eyeglasses fit with it on, so I ended up going with a full mask that has internal glasses ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009POIVWG/ ) and ordered some prescription lenses for it from my eye doctor.

The glass is crystal clear when I clean it, but gets dusty immediately. No issue with condensation or scratching or anything - just dusty.

WriteON

I do need/use eyewear and chemical protectors (3m). Option is full mask with Rx but that's a little too much for the time period ill use wear it.

Curly

Tony unless I have missed something in the Rockler description it doesn't have charcoal filtering. It won't stop fumes from CA, Acetone, Alcohol Laquer thinner or other organic vapours. The 3M and other brands do have those capabilities. Perhaps the mask company also make organic vapour cartridges but Rockler isn't selling them.

TonyL

Tony unless I have missed something in the Rockler description it doesn't have charcoal filtering. It won't stop fumes from CA, Acetone, Alcohol Laquer thinner or other organic vapours. The 3M and other brands do have those capabilities. Perhaps the mask company also make organic vapour cartridges but Rockler isn't selling them.
You may have read it perfectly. In fact you did. I do have a organic vapor mask, but this is not it. Thank you for researching.

MRDucks2

I have a half mask that I like based on the comfort level. I think that is key. Find a comfortable mask with filter options you need and you will be more likely to always wear it when you should. Something that is uncomfortable or a pain to use, you will be more hesitant to wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

WriteON

Does anyone have any experience with this? This is the direction I have been thinking of going.
Protects your face and head. Not a respirator. Not good for dust or fumes, etc. I have one. It's a must have for certain jobs or all the time.
  • The TREND AIRSHIELD PRO is not a RESPIRATOR nor a NIOSH approved device. This filter will not protect your lungs against harmful dust/vapors or toxic fumes. Misuse may result in sickness or death. For proper use, read instruction manual.

Woodchipper

I have a respirator but I can't wear it. Raises my glasses so they are out of focus, giving me headaches. For CA fumes- when I'm applying it to pens, I have the Shop Vac on to draw off the fumes. Good luck as there a lot of options.

bmachin

Take a look at the various powered air purifying respirators (PAPR) from 3M. Airwareamerica.com is one place to look. They are ungodly expensive with prices north of $1K but can be configured to provide both NIOSH breathing air and ANSI impact resistant face shields and helmets. They are also available used on Ebay at big discounts.

Bill

TonyL

I found these filters...they provide better protection, but I do not know if it is enough (for CA fumes). I also visited the GVS website; it has soem very good information on it. I may get these.

https://www.amazon.com/GVS-SPR450-R...S8/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583932699392631&psc=1

Top Bottom