More pepper mills ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

Here are a few of my latest creations..sorry the pictures are so big.. they are set up for use on my website..

2008741493_34-442-2.jpg

8 3/4", Marblewood, Walnut, Curly Maple and Muirapixuna (I think another name is Brazilian Ebony??)
20087415134_34-439-3.jpg

Walnut, Bloodwood and Wormy maple, 11" tall
20087415323_34-400.jpg

11" tall, box elder, Braz ebony, Marblewood, Bloodwood, White Oak, Cocobolo and Wormy maple
20087415522_34-368.jpg

Tennessee River Birch..actually I'm pretty sure it's birch that I found on the Tellico River, the log was chewed on both ends like a beaver had cut it and the bark was stripped. The wood was soaked and water logged, so I had to let it dry for over a year before I could turn it.
20087415847_34-398.jpg

9" tall, IPE-South American Ironwood. Great wood to turn, hard, but turns really nice.

I have some of the standards, but really prefer this style of grinder. On one or two I had a glue line showing that was a little worrisome... the finish covered over so the body is smooth, but the visibility is still there. My planer was new and I was just getting the hang of it with these.

All are finished with a gloss wipe on poly, then buffed with carnuba. I tried to use the tripoli and white diamond, but didn't like what I was getting, so sanded down and started over. Buffed the mills with 0000 steel wool between poly coats and then wiped with mineral spirits to clean the wool away.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

Chuck, the pepper mills look great. I was wondering if you have tried the synthetic wools for buffing? I've used the 0000 steel wool in the paste, but have started switching over to the non-woven abrasive pads. I find them easier to work with and their is no concerns about leaving any steel residue.

Here is a link to them, the white pads are the equivalent of 0000 steel wool

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5502

Aren't those the same as the green scrubbing pads you get at Wally-World??

I haven't thought about using them as I have a huge supply of steel wool from some project in the past.. I don't remember buying it, but I have a couple of packages... fun part about the steel wool is when you get too close to a spinning chuck and it catches, you wind up with shredded steel wool EVERYWHERE :(:( plus it's wrapped around the chuck :(:( and anything else it can catch on :(:(....... come to think about it, good reason to switch to the synthetics wools :):)

Chuck,
Very nicely done. I guess I am a traditionalist when it come to pepper mills as I like the bottom two shapes the most. You use a lot of segmented woods, do you do your own segmenting or do you purchase them that way. If you do purchase them that way, would you name your source?

VisExp

Originally posted by ozmandus

Aren't those the same as the green scrubbing pads you get at Wally-World??

LOL. Yes, they do look pretty similair. The pads come in different colors and each color is a different "grit". I also have a package of 0000 steel wool that has been sitting unused since I started using the synthetic pads [V]

Top Bottom