More laser cut inlay designs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ken Wines

Ken Wines

Here are some additional laser cut inlay designs that I have made. The first one I call a twisted rope twist. The second is a low contrast Herringbone pattern with walnut inlays and a cherry framework to hold them. The third is a pattern I found interesting, basically the inlay shapes are made by manipulating the quadrants of a circle. The fourth is a tiling pattern that I found. The fifth pattern is called Cairo Tiling.

Attachments

• IMG_3283.JPG
    IMG_3283.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_3613.JPG
    IMG_3613.JPG
    373.3 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_3617.JPG
    IMG_3617.JPG
    365.2 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_3620.JPG
    IMG_3620.JPG
    372.1 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_3652.JPG
    IMG_3652.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 293
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ken Wines

Those are some amazing designs. I would love to see the blanks unassembled! That appears to be a LOT of gluing and small pieces. Nice work.
The glue procedure is a little different than what you are visualizing. All of the pieces are a press fit and are inserted into the framework. The framework itself is a single wooden tube that has cutouts that are shaped identical (as much as possible) to the inlays and is about 1/10" longer than the brass tube. The brass tube itself is inserted without glue and centered up end to end in the blank. The blank is then flooded with thin CA on the joint lines of the outer surface. The thin CA works its way into crack and also the area between the brass tube and wood. Accelerator is not used and the glue is allowed to dry . After that it's pretty much business as usual. I trim the ends on a sanding disc on the lathe using a right angle jig to hold the tube perpendicular to the disc. I usually use a skew to turn them down to shape. There's really not much wood to remove. When designing the inlays I make the outer diameter of the blank about 1/4" larger than the through hole. That way you're only cutting wood that is 1/8" thick at most.

OZturner

Absolutely Amazing Work Ken.
I didn't realize "Geometrically" just How many Shapes, and Variations, could be available.
My Initial thought was that the patterns remind me of Italian Terrazzo or Ceramic Floor Tiles.
And for you to be able to produce these fine "Grout" lines in Wood, and to be able to press the "Wood Tile" into Position, without breaking the "Grout", is Mind Blowing.
Let alone to be able to Assemble so many Timbers of Contrasting Colours, with Compatible Characteristics, is also Incredible.
Thank you for your Craftsmanship, and Explanations, it is greatly Appreciated.
Brian.

Ken Wines

Very nice designs... are you looking to sell the laser cut kits at some time?
Scott, I sell inlaid and puzzle piece blanks now. I don't have an official, most of my sales have been via Facebook messaging. I'm currently in the process of working with a pen part supplier in Tennessee that will be carrying my kits on his website. I can't name the supplier at this time, but will try to update when the blanks become available there.

Thanks, Ken

Ken Wines

Hi Ken very nice indeed ... would you happen to have a video or pictures of your process ?

Brian
Brian, I'm sorry I don't do many videos or pictures of the process. I stay quite busy just keeping up with blank orders. I pretty much do the inlays like any of the others that do them. If you visualize the surface of a pen tube as 2" tall by X width that is equal to length of a pen tube, that is your canvas to lay out your patterns. Once laid out, you first cut the tube that has the framework to hold the inlays. I use a solid piece of dark colored wood for this. The inlays themselves are cut from the same design drawings, with the exception that they are over-sized by the amount of "laser kerf". Because of this over-sizing I don't get 2 complete complementary colored copies of loosely fitting inlays. I, however, do get inlays that fit snugly and won't fall out. I hope that this brief description helps.

Pens By Scott

Very nice designs... are you looking to sell the laser cut kits at some time?
Scott, I sell inlaid and puzzle piece blanks now. I don't have an official, most of my sales have been via Facebook messaging. I'm currently in the process of working with a pen part supplier in Tennessee that will be carrying my kits on his website. I can't name the supplier at this time, but will try to update when the blanks become available there.

Thanks, Ken

Looking forward to hearing the news. Puzzle kits? for which kits? Majestic or Majestic Jr. by chance?

Ken Wines

Looking forward to hearing the news. Puzzle kits? for which kits? Majestic or Majestic Jr. by chance?
Scott, I haven't done any Majestic or Majestic Jr. kits yet. I can do most of the designs I make on any pen type that has a tube that is equal to or greater than 3/8". I have done puzzles for the Jr Gent II series and adapting the drawings to Majestic Jr. wouldn't be that difficult because they have the same diameter tubes, I believe. Here's the latest puzzle design that I made the other day. This one fits Sierra tubes but could be adapted to other formats. What's different about it is the pieces are diagonal. I'm not sure I'm the first to try this, but I haven't seen it anywhere else yet.

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_3657.jpg
    IMG_3657.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 115

Pens By Scott

Scott, I haven't done any Majestic or Majestic Jr. kits yet. I can do most of the designs I make on any pen type that has a tube that is equal to or greater than 3/8". I have done puzzles for the Jr Gent II series and adapting the drawings to Majestic Jr. wouldn't be that difficult because they have the same diameter tubes, I believe. Here's the latest puzzle design that I made the other day. This one fits Sierra tubes but could be adapted to other formats. What's different about it is the pieces are diagonal. I'm not sure I'm the first to try this, but I haven't seen it anywhere else yet.

Ken

Good to know, if you ever create a puzzle blank for the Majestic, please let me know, i'd be very interested. I can do the turning, just don't have the laser or skills to create the blank, if you know what I mean.

Top Bottom