More Christmas Ornaments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tom McMillan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom McMillan

I made up a number of Christmas ornaments---a lot like the little acorn type ones (photo attached), and I attach a little mushroom bird and attach them to the perch (a nail I paint black) with adhesive putty. There were plans in the Amercan Woodworker magazine last year for ones similar to these--mine are probably a little different size (they vary but approx 3.5 inches tall and 2 inches wide). Also, I know the Crafts Supplies catalog has some plans for birdhouse ornaments. I also made some that have a different body style---long and slender.

20041126191413_birdhouseorn%20011.jpg

Are any of you selling something similar this year?? Just wondering what a good selling price would be for these. I sold some last year and didn't charge enough---in fact, the vendors around me setting up purchased them before the show opened.

Also, does anyone have an idea of what kind of wood is the top of the left one (the bottom wood is ziracote, and the one on the right the bottom is maple, and the top Bethlehem olivewood).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom McMillan

Good one Fred :)
And Garry----I got my birds from a place called Craft Warehouse in Vancouver, WA----The ones I have are pretty small---hopefully other craft supplies outlets would have them.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I was curious where you got those myself, so I did a little searching around, smallest I have found so far was 1/2"...Tom, are those little guys smaller than that..?

Thanks,
JohnPayton

Tom McMillan

OK---I've had no responses to what others might get for these ornaments----I'm thinking between $10 and $15. Perhaps some of you have sold ornaments this year different or the same as these?? Could you give me an idea of what you're making and how sales are going as well as pricing?? Thanks so much---I sold these for too little last year and want to get a fair price (both for the customer and for me). Would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Tom...I didn't respond because I have neither turned nor sold any, BUT, depending on your area of the country, I would think $15 would be a bargain. I know that I have seen some hand turned ornaments priced higher, but I'm in the Washington, DC area (although I'm not among them, the area is fairly affluent). [8D]
Originally posted by Tom McMillan
<br />OK---I've had no responses to what others might get for these ornaments----I'm thinking between $10 and $15. Perhaps some of you have sold ornaments this year different or the same as these?? Could you give me an idea of what you're making and how sales are going as well as pricing?? Thanks so much---I sold these for too little last year and want to get a fair price (both for the customer and for me). Would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I was in a small craft show a couple weekends ago - only members of local turners club and carvers club - at our local Woodcraft store. Only person who sold anything sold several of his turned christmas ornaments. He had cut his in half, hollowed them out, and glued them back together. They looked nice and you couldnt tell they had been cut/glued.

Sorry I didnt pay attention what he was selling them for.

JohnPayton

wayneis

Tom thats way to cheap. Christmas ornaments are big. Yours are very nice and I think from my sales experence, ten to fifteen dollars would be wholesale not retail. I sold Christmas ornaments (among other things)for several years, most imported from Germany and Poland so I have a good idea what something handcrafted of quality would be worth. You should start out at twenty to thirty and then you have room if needed to offer a Christmas sale. Another thing with products like this is many people will not buy if they are to cheaply priced.

Wayne

Fred in NC

Wayne, you hit the nail on the head:

"Another thing with products like this is many people will not buy if they are to cheaply priced."

This is especially true when the item is intended as a present.

Tom McMillan

Here's a couple more ornaments of a little different design---appreciate your comments on the others. And hey, thanks guys for the input on the price---I've increased the price thanks to your input. I know I tend to undervalue a lot of what I do---and, your input helps me to realize---Hey, maybe this is worth more---and I'm glad we can share here to really get a handle on some of this!!!! I'm the first to acknowledge that none of us should undervalue or undersell our work---when we spend so much time and effort to make something nice.

200412212132_deskpenbrdhses%20016.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom