More Celtic Knots

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kcimdrib

Kcimdrib

More Celtic Knots I am still cutting free hand on my Bandsaw. The 3 in Purplehart I have used my mitre fence with a simple block clamped to it so I can repeat the cut without following pencil marks and I think the Photos show greater accuracy. I am quite pleased with the results. Please feel free to comment.

Attachments

• pen6.jpg
    pen6.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 127
  • pen5.jpg
    pen5.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 132
  • pen4.jpg
    pen4.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 132
  • pen3.jpg
    pen3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 121
  • pen2.jpg
    pen2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 112
  • pen1.jpg
    pen1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 129
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

That third picture. Have done that a few times. Are you cutting all the way through the blank? I haven't done many because I want to get/make a jig for more consistency, but cutting most of the way through instead of all the way has made all the difference for me as far as the lines meeting up properly. Still, that's pretty good for freehand on the bandsaw.

Kcimdrib

Todd I cut part way unfortunately sometimes I have gone straight through accidentally.
The stop on the mitre fence works well to repeat the positioning.
Also cutting part way means the inserts can only be the width of the blade.
Thanks for your interest.

KenB259

Todd I cut part way unfortunately sometimes I have gone straight through accidentally.
The stop on the mitre fence works well to repeat the positioning.
Thanks for your interest.
whether you cut halfway or all the way, doesn't matter. Infill must match kerf exactly.

sorcerertd

Something I also have trouble with. too narrow of a fill material leaves an ugly gap, too much pushes the gap open slightly, warping the blank. I've had more failures than successes, but have come a long way from this. My plan is to experiment with layers of craft paper next.

howsitwork

Michael

Im going to try cutting all the way through then using an aluminium jig to secure whilst epoxy sets ( slow cure araldyte so got to secure for a while. ) . Like you the part way through it works and is easier but limits insert thickness and I want to experiment more.

Nice work

KenB259

Well if you cut all the way the kerf doesn't matter. But I agree a match is important.
I respectively disagree. This point has been argued over and over and has been proven that kerf must always match infill. Don't believe me give it a try. Make the infill larger than your kerf and post your results.

Kcimdrib

I respectively disagree. This point has been argued over and over and has been proven that kerf must always match infill. Don't believe me give it a try. Make the infill larger than your kerf and post your results.
I'll give it a go.

Kcimdrib

Michael

Im going to try cutting all the way through then using an aluminium jig to secure whilst epoxy sets ( slow cure araldyte so got to secure for a while. ) . Like you the part way through it works and is easier but limits insert thickness and I want to experiment more.

Nice work
Yes I agree I will try to get some 90 deg aluminium section. Then I'll cut and glue not sure about adhesive.

KenB259

Yes I agree I will try to get some 90 deg aluminium section. Then I'll cut and glue not sure about adhesive.
With aluminum, I always use epoxy. I still have failures from time to time, but overall it's what I've had more success with.

Kcimdrib

Michael

Nice work
Thank you

Top Bottom