More bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from louisbry

louisbry

Here is a trio I just finished. Comments are always welcome.
Natural edge 8.5 by 4 inch Mesquite bowl
20071115191058_Mesquite%208by4.jpg

6.5 by 2.5 inch Walnut bowl from mature tree
20071115191230_Walnut7.5by2.5.jpg

8 by 3 inch Spalted Hackberry bowl
2007111519149_Hackberry%208by3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cowchaser

I like all 3, but really like the spalted hackberry. The mesquite bowl, which is probably the ligthing looks unfinished. It also looks like it has some tool gouges in it. Not that I could turn a bowl anyways.

Now that I look harder it's a race between 2 and 3.
Question though. Out of curiousity to someone that hasn't turned a bowl. Why do most I see (even other places) have such a short height? Just the size of your stock I guess?

louisbry

Thanks guys. I agree with you concerning the natural edge bowl finish. I use a friction polish and it is hard to do with a natural edge because the outermost parts will put a pretty nasty cut on your hand if you are not careful (I speak from experience). I did most of the sanding and the friction polish by hand because of this hazzard. The picture is deceiving - there are no tool gouge marks. Guess I will remove the wax and apply a spray poly to this bowl. Bowl height is determined by the blank to a large degree. I rough turned these bowls about a year ago I was pretty new to turning and I turned a 1.5 inch tendon on the bottom for the chuck (safety factor since then I did have the occassional catch). Now I think I will start recess chucking and that will add at least an inch to height. Also you can glue a piece of sacrificial wood to the bottom for turning a tendon. A lot of the wood from a tree trunk is unfortunately waisted when you turn a bowl.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Imagine a 9" diameter log, to make a bowl from it you first need to split it somewhat off center as the core of the log is often a soft pith.

You now have piece of wood that is maybe 8" across, 4" deep and however long the log is.

You then take a circle template and put the log on a band saw and cut a circle, perpendicular to the grain.

You now have an about 8" diameter bowl blank, sorta flat on the side that was close to the middle of the log and curved back that may have bark attached.

Assume that you are not going to turn a natural edge bowl and lets say you attach a face plate the flat surface of the bowl blank and turn the outside of the bowl. You can either add a tenon that you will clamp in a chuck, turn a mortice that you can insert the chuck into and expand the jaws, or glue on some sacrificial wood to be a tenon.

Since trees are rarely perfectly uniform, by the time you get a nice arc for the outside of the bowl, you are left with maybe a 7" diameter 3" tall partially turned bowl with a small foot / tenon.

Flip the blank over and clamp in in the chuck, turn the face then start to hollow out the inside of the bowl. To ensure that you have enough meat to the bowl, you probably are going to make it no deeper then 2.5"

This is why you end up with a really shallow looking bowl unless you turn it much smaller in diameter and in effect throw away more wood just to get a deeper looking bowl

Top Bottom