MOP over thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BRobbins629

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Made this blank a while ago with a few defects and put is away but just found it and decided it was ok to complete for a carry pen. Blue background is wrapped thread, design is mother of pearl. Had to make the MOP a little thicker (used two pieces] to sand a curve in the back. Some of thread colors available make an excellent background. Haven't done any in a while, but may try this again.
1977DC06-7AE8-4329-9924-40775E120303.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have a few ideas rolling around in my head for things like this. Glad to see someone else give it a go and it now gives me some inspiration to go ahead and try it. If you would be kind and it maybe the photo but need a bit more explanation of what we are looking at. I see some sort of end pieces, what is that?? I see green thread. I see what I thought was a gold pin inlay but assume that is the mother of pearl you are talking about. What did you use to cut this design?? What resin did you use?? What was the name of the thread preserver and do you think it is really needed?? Thanks and sorry for all the questions. Nice work. Different look.

philipff

Made this blank a while ago with a few defects and put is away but just found it and decided it was ok to complete for a carry pen. Blue background is wrapped thread, design is mother of pearl. Had to make the MOP a little thicker (used two pieces] to sand a curve in the back. Some of thread colors available make an excellent background. Haven't done any in a while, but may try this again.
View attachment 223307
We all can count on Bruce for a new and innovative approach, with wonderful results. P.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I have a few ideas rolling around in my head for things like this. Glad to see someone else give it a go and it now gives me some inspiration to go ahead and try it. If you would be kind and it maybe the photo but need a bit more explanation of what we are looking at. I see some sort of end pieces, what is that?? I see green thread. I see what I thought was a gold pin inlay but assume that is the mother of pearl you are talking about. What did you use to cut this design?? What resin did you use?? What was the name of the thread preserver and do you think it is really needed?? Thanks and sorry for all the questions. Nice work. Different look.
Thanks JT. I will try my best to answer your questions.
The thread is the same that we've seen before from fishing rod technology. Yes it looks a little on the green side in the photo but in reality it's more blue or maybe even teal. You can blame my photo skills which have never been the best. Yes the design is mother of pearl that I got a long time ago from luthiersupply.com They have many patterns, most of which are cut by hand in Vietnam. Or at least the used to be. They are a little thin to shape to the curvature of a pen tube and I never tried to bend them, but made do with 2 glued together. No expert on thread preserver but the fishing rod folks say its a good idea, I had some so it couldn't hurt. Available from fishing rod thread suppliers. The black end pieces make the ends a little neater. Again no expert in thread wrapping so used some PR to hide my start and end pieces. It's always been difficult for me to get clean ends on thread wrapping. After thread wrapped and MOP guide on, I carefully sanded the outside of the MOP to get it a little round. Finally cast in epoxy.

Top Bottom