Molds for larger Pressure Pot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

I posted on Christmas about my new 5-gallon California Air Tools pressure pot. My rationale for getting the larger pot (vs the 2.5-gallon) was so I can make larger castings and cut them into more blanks per batch (trying to be more efficient).

Well, I'm having trouble finding larger molds - I bought a mold from a company called "Moldi" - the mold was 9" x 6" x 3". I would never use much of the depth - probably never pour deeper than an inch. But the 9" x 6" was attractive as I figured I could get 10 blanks from a pour, and the blanks would be a little longer than the 5-1/4" I make today.

I received my new mold today, and the mold won't fit in the pressure pot. Actually, the mold will, but it is held together by a lot of wing nuts, and those stick out, resulting in a larger footprint, and it won't fit.

So, I thought I would once again ask this great group, where do you get your molds, and have you been able to find/use larger molds?

Thanks for any advice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Have you checked Etsy? There are actually a fair number of good molds sold there. I think you can find 3/4" deep by 6x6" or something in that ballpark. I think also a 1" deep by various sizes.

I have a few different pan blank molds I bought off sellers on Etsy, and they were very good and have held up extremely well.

Also, if you have the 5-gallon, you should take a look at PTownSubbie. I picked up one of these from them:

It also looks like they may have a decent flatter mold that might work for your needs:

Kenny Durrant

The first thing that came to my mind is why buy a bigger mold unless you're casting a bigger blank. Make a rack so you can fit more of the smaller molds in the pot. If you need a specific size try contacting Stadium Blanks. I used to work with the guy that started Man Eater Crafts. They mill the molds with a CNC using HDPE. It's a solid mold that will last forever. Maybe they will custom make one.

KMCloonan

The first thing that came to my mind is why buy a bigger mold unless you're casting a bigger blank. Make a rack so you can fit more of the smaller molds in the pot. If you need a specific size try contacting Stadium Blanks. I used to work with the guy that started Man Eater Crafts. They mill the molds with a CNC using HDPE. It's a solid mold that will last forever. Maybe they will custom make one.
Thanks Kenny. I was planning to build a rack. I will likely just get another small mold or two and stack 'em.
Have you checked Etsy? There are actually a fair number of good molds sold there. I think you can find 3/4" deep by 6x6" or something in that ballpark. I think also a 1" deep by various sizes.

I have a few different pan blank molds I bought off sellers on Etsy, and they were very good and have held up extremely well.

Also, if you have the 5-gallon, you should take a look at PTownSubbie. I picked up one of these from them:

It also looks like they may have a decent flatter mold that might work for your needs:

Thanks Jon. I will check out Etsy.
lizards blanks has a lot of molds too - https://www.lizardblanks.com/
I did check out lizard molds., and PTownsubbie, but did not see what I'm looking for.

KMCloonan

I posted on Christmas about my new 5-gallon California Air Tools pressure pot. My rationale for getting the larger pot (vs the 2.5-gallon) was so I can make larger castings and cut them into more blanks per batch (trying to be more efficient).

Well, I'm having trouble finding larger molds - I bought a mold from a company called "Moldi" - the mold was 9" x 6" x 3". I would never use much of the depth - probably never pour deeper than an inch. But the 9" x 6" was attractive as I figured I could get 10 blanks from a pour, and the blanks would be a little longer than the 5-1/4" I make today.

I received my new mold today, and the mold won't fit in the pressure pot. Actually, the mold will, but it is held together by a lot of wing nuts, and those stick out, resulting in a larger footprint, and it won't fit.

So, I thought I would once again ask this great group, where do you get your molds, and have you been able to find/use larger molds?

Thanks for any advice.
I contacted Moldi about returning the mold I bought since I can't use it, and they informed me they have a no-return policy that I agreed to when I purchased the mold. I guess I need to do a better job of reading the fine print. Even with the policy, the mold I bought had a larger footprint than I thought I was buying, so it fails to meet my needs. I hate companies whose policies benefit themselves, and not the customer.

rixstix

Is the mold SNAD? Significantly Not As Described? That trumps the fine print in some cases. BTDT successfully.

Probably not in your case.

Last edited:

KMCloonan

The owner told me he does not make molds to fit pressure pots he does not advertise them as such, and his customers do not make pens. So I have a $70 paperweight now.

JohnU

Kevin, it all depends on what you're casting. There are lots of mold makers that will custom make molds to the size you want. Most of them are the sellers of the HDPE molds you see on the market. Just shoot them and email. There are also a ton of recycled containers you can use like ice cream buckets, deli containers, or carry out containers. Other
Items can be found in the kitchen isle of the dollar store or plastic containers from hobby lobby. Just stay away from #6 recycling codes stamped on the bottom. They melt in resin. #2 and #5 work great. Some container will be a one time use like pharmacy bottles, Pringle cans and pop cans but they all work.

Sometimes I'll use pieces of HDPE taped inside larger containers to divide or partition them or save on resin.

Alumilite sells "red mold maker" which is very easy for making your own molds if there's a size you're making a lot. They demold very easily, but you might have to make a wood frame for them so they aren't flimsy.

Another problem with larger molds is having a container large enough the mix the resin in. I like the paint / mixing containers in the paint isle at Menards. They come in a couple different sizes from quart/ half gallon/ gallon.

Yes, My casting room is full of recycled container. lol

Penchant 4

Thanks for any advice.
Would replacing the wingnuts with low(er) profile hex nuts give you the clearance needed?

KMCloonan

Kevin, it all depends on what you're casting. There are lots of mold makers that will custom make molds to the size you want. Most of them are the sellers of the HDPE molds you see on the market. Just shoot them and email. There are also a ton of recycled containers you can use like ice cream buckets, deli containers, or carry out containers. Other
Items can be found in the kitchen isle of the dollar store or plastic containers from hobby lobby. Just stay away from #6 recycling codes stamped on the bottom. They melt in resin. #2 and #5 work great. Some container will be a one time use like pharmacy bottles, Pringle cans and pop cans but they all work.

Sometimes I'll use pieces of HDPE taped inside larger containers to divide or partition them or save on resin.

Alumilite sells "red mold maker" which is very easy for making your own molds if there's a size you're making a lot. They demold very easily, but you might have to make a wood frame for them so they aren't flimsy.

Another problem with larger molds is having a container large enough the mix the resin in. I like the paint / mixing containers in the paint isle at Menards. They come in a couple different sizes from quart/ half gallon/ gallon.

Yes, My casting room is full of recycled container. lol
Thanks John - I need to broaden my search for containers that can be used as molds. I appreciate the input!

KMCloonan

I got a lot of great suggestions from this group. The diversity of suggestions just goes to show how different points of view can result in vastly different, yet equally viable solutions. Thanks everyone!

Top Bottom