Mold release

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
If you use Alumilite you can not depend on the shrinkage. Alumilite shrinks VERY little and can make it almost impossible to get out of some molds such as PVC. That said, I do not use mold release. I just make my molds where one side unscrews and come off and then all is fine.

bitshird

Thanks Curtis, I was using Polyester Resin, I don't know why it didn't shrink, I'm going to try again in a day or two, The piece of pipe I used had some small specks of PR still stuck to the inside wall, so maybe it hadn,t completely set,I'm thinking possibly the silicon mold release I sprayed the indide of the PVC with may have had some reaction to the PR.

neon007

With PR there is no release needed. However for the die hard fan who just insists on using a mold release, you can pick it up at your local auto parts store. Just get some meguirs mirror glaze. The paste type in the can. That is the choice of the pro mold makers. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by neon007

With PR there is no release needed. However for the die hard fan who just insists on using a mold release, you can pick it up at your local auto parts store. Just get some meguirs mirror glaze. The paste type in the can. That is the choice of the pro mold makers. Hope this helps.

Um, not exactly true. For molds made from flexible plastics and or certain types of plastics no mold release may be needed.

You can also use:

Castin' Craft #33900 Mold Release/Conditioner: All molds require mold release when casting with Clear Polyester Casting Resin. We recommend Mold Release/Conditioner as a release agent and to clean, condition and extend the life of your molds. Convenient 2 oz. spray pump for easy of application. Odorless, solvent free. 2 oz/59 ml.

If you use the Castin' Craft Mold Release, don't spray it on/in the mold. Uscrew the top and pour a little in and wipe it around to cover all the surfaces.

Remember you can use a coupon at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I haven't seen it at A.C. Moore.

alamocdc

I haven't really need a release for my PR molds, but I made some using scrap wood covered with packing tape and used a thin coat of petroleum jelly (aka vasoline) just to make sure. Worked like a charm.

Top Bottom